Using Older Dogs to train Pups? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Using Older Dogs to train Pups?

I was wondering if anyone else did this.

Sania has been very helpful in helping me train Ozzy, particularly with fetch. Ozzy had a tendency to leave the ball *just* out of reach. I hate having to get up and get the ball.

Sania knows what "I can't reach it" means. Every time I say it, she'll grab her ball and throw it at me, or push it to me with her nose.

Before, I would sit there and wait for Ozzy to bring me his ball on his own. But he'd get distracted and go do something else, so that didn't work very well. Until I brought Sania into the picture. Now when he leaves his ball where I can't reach it, I just throw hers until he brings it to me. Watching her chasing after her ball and getting to play is no fun for him! So he'll grab his ball and bring it to me. Every time he grabs it, I say, "Get your ball!" so he'll eventually do it on his own.

Does anyone else use older dogs to train their pups?

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM
Elite Member

yupper, in pretty much the same way :-)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Master Member

im actually having a problem with this because my older dog is a brat and a half and she will sit when she wants to. so my pup will look to her then me when i give a command, like asking her if he should do it. he doesnt listen to me when she is around, when she is gone he is an angel, i dont know how to re-enforce my role as leader with him, he is in love with my older dog...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:09 AM
dOg
Elite Member

As long as the older one sets a good example, it's a great aid!
Because it works both ways, older ones can also teach misbehaviors,
so choose carefully!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Knighted Member

My older dogs definately helped the pup learn good & bad. I have recently begun working all 3 individually to remind everyone. It's much easier to take all 3 out for a 45 minute jaunt every morning thru the trails but we all have our own issues.
If I throw the ball for my 8yr old, the pup runs for it, then will bark at the older dog now he doesn't go for the ball when the pups out. So now we all take turns. I'm also having a hard time getting the pup to focus on me when were out an about, she's 9 months old.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssandslinger View Post
im actually having a problem with this because my older dog is a brat and a half and she will sit when she wants to. so my pup will look to her then me when i give a command, like asking her if he should do it. he doesnt listen to me when she is around, when she is gone he is an angel, i dont know how to re-enforce my role as leader with him, he is in love with my older dog...

Why not work with the pup separately?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Crowned Member

Riley helped potty train Shasta. Shasta is 6 months old and 100% potty trained. Beyond that Riley and Shelby have been useless in helping.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 07:35 PM
Master Member

King has been helping me get skylar over reacting to other dogs on leash because of fear- if we walk them together (mom with king, me with skylar) and she sees that king doesn't react, she hasn't reacted ONCE while on a walk with king. I think it makes her more confident too, because he has lots of confidence haha. She's getting a lot better on her own aswell, but i think king has helped a lot.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:16 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Keeta has been a great help in teaching Gryffon! It even works for teaching formal obedience behaviours. Teach Gryff to go over the A-frame and back? Send Keeta out over the A-frame and back, and there is Gryff!!! Same with the jump.

For formal obedience, we start the retrieve with dowel work. Basically teach the dog to open mouth, take dowel, hold dowel, give dowel up on command - all before introducing a dumbell retrieve.

I was having a problem with Gryff - he did not like having the dowel in his mouth at all, and fought it! Keeta to the rescue!!! She does the excercise over and over again, and I praise and give her treats, and praise and give her treats, then Gryff is pushing in, trying to get the dowel too for the praise and treats - it worked! What can take weeks to teach, Gryff got in one session just by watching Keeta!

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page