Just need some tips (hyper -2yo lab) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Just need some tips (hyper -2yo lab)

If I had this boy in MY possession, I'd be okay... But I'm helping a friend.

Zero training, nothing.. He's intact, a few months shy of two, the MOST fit and muscular lab(mix most likely) I've evert seen. He's sweet and pretty soft when it comes to corrections.

He is yelled at and called to the point where his name means nothing to him.. I will start building come/his name with food (he's food driven).

He gets very, very few walks because of his intense pulling and attempts to escape. I'm dead serious when I say it was like walking a wild animal. I used a strong martingale so he couldn't slip it but wouldn't choke himself to death, and I am SO happy I did, because when he got out of the door he backed up and started bucking like crazy trying to get out of the collar.

I put a second leash on a 2nd collar just in case.

I let him pull me like a truck about -1/2 mile to tire him before I put a leash on the prong collar I'd just put on him, because I knew he'd react crazy if I used it while he was completely wired.. It was a near constant fight, he pulls like a monster, and I know why.. It is their fault for not training.

Another thing, he BOLTS out of the door.. He is like a rocket and he has NO street smarts, he will go up to any dog, anyone, and in front of any cars. In fact that's what sparked me to help them today, they called to let me know he was running down near my house, he'd jumped into my neighbors yard (oh yeah, he's a fence jumper and escape artist) and gotten confused, and I got him with no problems.. So I guess I'll get them to start on his door dashing after there is some kind of communication between them..

I am SO pleased to say he works for food... Otherwise I'd have nothing.

After I got him used to wearing the prong I put a leash on it and left a leash on the martingale.. He learned fast and walked nicely the whole way. I explained and showed them how to use and fit a prong... But I'll be printing out some photos and info on that too..

I'm just asking for any tips you guys have, any pages I could print out for them to read and use at home.. for recall training, proper training - like not saying "Sit..... Sit.. SIT. Sit!" - just general, helpful, things for their situation.. And keep in mind, they know zip about dog behavior and training in general. AND this dog has lived the past two years running wild and spending a ton of time just out with the other dogs in the yard..

I'm training them, I'm just teaching the dog..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Crowned Member

I don't have much advice for you, other than offer good luck.

Aiden was a runner. Every time the door opened, he'd run and be at the house on the opposite side of the neighborhood. So one day, I sat there and made him sit. I'd slowly open the door. If his butt came off the floor - door gets closed. It took a while, but he eventually realized that when he moves, he doesn't get to see outside. Sit/stay/watch me commands would help the lab, I'm sure. Those are the three main things I used with Aiden, but I'm sure that the lab would get it if the door kept getting shut in his face.

And I know what it's like having a lab that doesn't do well on the leash. Sania, our lab, hates the leash. She's HORRID on the leash, but I don't usually need it because if I have her ball, she won't leave my side. She'd turn around, thrash around, and pull her head out of the collar when she had a leash on, but she has a good recall and will stick to you like glue if you have her ball.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:03 PM
Crowned Member

I would suggest that *THEY* get training, get into some classes for obedience/manners. Possibly look into a sport that the owners and dog would enjoy to expell some of that energy.

If the owners are not willing to learn/committ then your efforts are futile.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:14 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
I would suggest that *THEY* get training, get into some classes for obedience/manners. Possibly look into a sport that the owners and dog would enjoy to expell some of that energy.

If the owners are not willing to learn/committ then your efforts are futile.
Exactly.

If you go and train the dog, the dog will listen to you, but not his owners if they won't stick to the game plan. That's how it is at our house. I don't tolerate our dogs misbehaving. They all know this, and they almost always listen to me without a second thought. But my mom isn't firm with them, so they run her over, basically. Like when I tell Aiden to get off the couch, he gets off. When Mom tells him, he sits there and looks at her until she hugs him and give him love or pushes him off. They're not as pleasurable to be around when she's here.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Knighted Member

I have a hyper 8 year old chocolate lab good luck,lol Lots of exercise and balls work well for training and of course food. But if the owners aren't willing to keep the training up there's no point really other than to make your time with him more enjoyable
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:38 AM

well shoot... my 8 week old puppy gets into everything and i yell out his name and say no-no... is this a bad thing? i do my best to try and redirect him, but then he gets re-redirected to my feet!!! and the lil bugger has some gnarly milk teeth (already popped 3 of my daughters balls) i know he's a pup and is rambunctious but man he's wearing me out more then im wearing him out

Scout Vom Haus Voeller, DOB 08/19/10
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 AM
Elite Member

If he's food driven, I'd switch straight to the clicker. Something you could easily show them and show the variety of things it works to teach and they can start applying and go from there.

I have a lab that is a LOT like this - or was randomly when he turned two - I got him neutered (the age I was waiting for anyway) and started him on the prong. I don't care if he ever gets off the prong (I FULLY realize it's a training tool) because the only thing he ever does on-lead is go out to potty. Soo with that being said - I clicked/treated whenever I got the prong out, put it on him, took it and did that over and over. Then I started to associate it with going outside - I pick it up now and he gets VERY excited. Sometimes he'll knock it around (on floor under end table by the door) when wants to go out.

I honestly would recommend or buy a clicker training book or dvd and show them how to apply it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 04:48 AM
Elite Member

Oh and also, ask how annoyed they'd be if they had to ask their child to do something 15 times in a row. Then suggest they knock that out. If they don't mean what they say the first time, don't bother saying it. After that, for now, I would "show" the dog what you mean and treat until he obviously "gets it" then go to no reinforcing, just enforcing - do NOT have to be mean to say this. When my shepherd gets caught in a half-sit or what-have-you from being too excited to do the next thing (he locks up) then I just gently push his rear down and DO NOT repeat the command. Make sure you show them that you can be stubborn and call the rules without cruelty (seen people slam their dogs to the ground -NOT needed).
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Scout View Post
well shoot... my 8 week old puppy gets into everything and i yell out his name and say no-no... is this a bad thing? i do my best to try and redirect him, but then he gets re-redirected to my feet!!! and the lil bugger has some gnarly milk teeth (already popped 3 of my daughters balls) i know he's a pup and is rambunctious but man he's wearing me out more then im wearing him out
Oh no, I mean they yell his name SO much for trivial things he's pretty started to ignore his name or come..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you guys.. I don't think the owners really care ENOUGH to get a real trainer nor have the resources.

It's also hard because he has learned to completely zone his owners out.. IN the house.. when he's out it is 100X worse, he is after everything and anything because he is so excited to see it. What he REALLY needs is more exercise and general obedience..

I'm getting some things together for them... let you know how TODAY goes.. Now that my shoulders down the my fingers are sore and throbbing from him yesterday. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page