Is it possible to have a GSD that isnt protective/too nice? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Is it possible to have a GSD that isnt protective/too nice?

Ill try and not make this a novel haha I have 2 GSD. 1 female who is 1 yrs old. one male who is 6 mo old. Their names are Ruby and Max. Now, Ruby has recently shown alot of avoidance when put in certain situations. It all started when she got attacked by 3 of my friends dogs, She was the only one on a leash and i had to literally kick the dogs off her. She had puncture wounds and was taken to the vet. Soon after i started her back into training classes Group Obediance classes and let her sit and watch on saturday mornings when other GSD's did Protection training and tracking. At first she would literally try and get under the tables, tail tucked in between her legs. And if the male trainer, Nelson came near her. LOL yeah... Growling, and not taking her eyes off of him... you could throw the biggest meatiest bone in front of her and she wasnt moving haha Now its not as bad, BUT when out and about, like at a toyota dealership waiting to get my car service done, outside, random people would come over and she is the type that will JUMP LICK AND LOVE all over you!! But just recently some internet guys came over to the house to install a new system, went outside, she was first in SUPER EXCITED MODE and then when he was walking she would smell near him, and if he moved semi quickly she was like on guard, ready to run away from him.

And then there's max haha LOVES ON EVERYONE and ANYTHING. He loves to bark at the bigger dogs though. When we would go to watch the protection training He would watch intently, at first everyone thought, HE wants to play with the tug!! haha Bring the dog out of the situation, and max would chase it and bite it, but the barking was all at the bigger, larger dogs. He doesnt bark at people though. When ruby was about his age, if the doorbell rang, or a knock on the door happenned, she was up and barking like, WHAT IS GOING ON. DONT MESS WITH US haha Max and ruby now just sit there listening.

I recently had my mom drive over, make noise and bang loudly on the door, and ring the door bell alot. Ruby got up, and when i said, who is that, ruby? She went over to the door, all alert, listening, racking her brain or something haha max laid there.

No barking. Now, at their ages, is that Good? Normal? I want to try them to bark on command. but that sounds like it might be a difficult task, to catch them barking, give them a treat and say good bark?! Is that how it would be done? I dunno.

Just wondering if thats a good thing.
Thanks for ANY responses!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 01:55 AM
Crowned Member

sounds normal to me. but in answer to your title... yes... it is possible to have a GSD that isn't protective and is too nice.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
too nice? No. Not protective? Yes.

But I guess that depends on if you believe a dog can be too nice. Both of your dogs are still puppies though, so you can't expect or depend on them to be protective yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Crowned Member

They're both just babies (well, puppies), so don't expect too much in terms of protection from them. They may look like adults because of their size, but their minds are not mature at all. Everyone and everything should be positive at that age.

Is there a reason you want them to be protective? Typically the site of two full grown german shepherds, no matter how nice and goofy they seem to you, are enough protection 99% of us will ever need. Would you start trouble with someone walking down the street that you didn't know with their two adult rottweilers? Same idea.

I wouldn't push the whole protective thing if I were you. If not trained properly, they can turn into a huge liability. Are you prepared for that?

If you ask me, you want your dogs to be as nice and friendly as possible. Let them think the world is a happy place and they have nothing to be afraid of or protective of. If the time ever comes and you are in trouble, two well socialized german shepherds might surprise you and be a little more protective than you think.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 06:47 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
sounds normal to me. but in answer to your title... yes... it is possible to have a GSD that isn't protective and is too nice.
Agreed! Max and Ruby...my kids love that cartoon
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
too nice? No. Not protective? Yes.

But I guess that depends on if you believe a dog can be too nice. Both of your dogs are still puppies though, so you can't expect or depend on them to be protective yet.
I suppose they are only too nice if you want them to be less nice. My last dog was 'too' nice and I wouldn't have changed her for anything. Current dog is just right for my needs, not 'too' nice but not too aggressive either. ( I love it when a doorbell rings on TV and she goes to the door barking. )
Sounds like your Ruby had a traumatic experience and it will take a while for her to regain her confidence and trust. If she had it before she will probably bounce back. That's how it went with my dog.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
They're both just babies (well, puppies), so don't expect too much in terms of protection from them. They may look like adults because of their size, but their minds are not mature at all. Everyone and everything should be positive at that age.

Is there a reason you want them to be protective? Typically the site of two full grown german shepherds, no matter how nice and goofy they seem to you, are enough protection 99% of us will ever need. Would you start trouble with someone walking down the street that you didn't know with their two adult rottweilers? Same idea.

I wouldn't push the whole protective thing if I were you. If not trained properly, they can turn into a huge liability. Are you prepared for that?

If you ask me, you want your dogs to be as nice and friendly as possible. Let them think the world is a happy place and they have nothing to be afraid of or protective of. If the time ever comes and you are in trouble, two well socialized german shepherds might surprise you and be a little more protective than you think.

I agree with this. I didn't start seeing concern from my male about strangers until he was much older and more mentally mature. About 2.5years. Shepherds to me, more than other breeds I have owned really do seem to "grow up".

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Master Member

Just wanted to say.... love the names LOL! is ruby always taking care of Max in your home too LOL!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post

Thank you for your input! I wanna clarify, that i am definately not pushing the whole protection thing! I absolutely LOVE that my dogs are so kind! Its easier with max, since he hasnt had an bad experiences and shows no fear or avoidance to anyone, which ruby can do at random times since she is in that awkward teenage stage and experienced the dog attack. (which i probably didnt help since i was so emotional after experiencing that) Before i moved back home to alabama, i was working max on a tug, and going to classes every Saturday morning with him, i know it takes time! I do, just wasnt sure if Ruby would end up ever being able to do Schutzhund, guess i secretely worry about the stupid things i shouldnt haha I just have never owned such a chill relaxed GSD before haha Ruby is the type that has so much energy and excitement when a person walks in the room that i can say Sitz and she will ALWAYS without fail grab a toy and run circles around me and the person, if she isnt jumping in excitement. I think she has ADD i swear haha Cause its opposite for max, he will get up and get excited but if i say sitz, he sits!, or Platz, he lays down, or bleib, and he stays. yeah ruby knows sitz, and i have to put my hand to the floor while saying platz, for her to go into a down position. ANYWAYS, im way off track! haha SORRY!!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
Agreed! Max and Ruby...my kids love that cartoon
haha thats why Ruby was chosen, I actually wanted Riley (Got her near fort riley, ks) but noooo, husband wanted an excuse to buy his own german shepherd haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page