Crazy dog at training!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Crazy dog at training!!!

So how do you all handle other peoples "crazy" dogs at training that their owner can't control? There is a large dog that is trying to go after other dogs and he pulls the lady around like she is a piece of paper...One man had to pick up his little dog by the collar, hanging his dog, to keep this dog from getting him...

I offered her my prong, because she uses a choke, just to try and help her get control...the trainer came towards me to get it...and she suddenly says "No"....so he turned around.

If we go back and this dog is still acting like this...I will be upset...How would you all handle this? I know she is trying to get him trained ( and I do appreciate that) but,this was our 3rd class, and he isnt improving...

and my dog is paranoid (dont blame her) and can't concentrate when he is anywhere near her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Knighted Member

Uh, talk to the trainer.... Tell him that you are concerned and if she doesn't put a properly fitted prong on the dog or get it under control some other way you do not feel comfortable coming back! It's his job as well to keep everyone safe in his class.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sparkles, Lilith, Eve, Candy, Dahlia, Juno, Tonks.

Jaeger, Ben, Goose, Dirk, LingLing, Bentley, Elliot, Batman.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Elite Member

Maybe this lady needs to have a 'sidebar' with the trainer so he can express his concern for her handling techniques(or lack thereof) and suggest different equipment. If the lady is indeed using a choke, even a suitable harness would be better suited for her situatiuon if she is adament about not using a prong.
Oiy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:18 PM
liv

When there is a dog like that in class, my trainer usually asks them to do private classes, because she doesn't think it is fair to everyone else, since those duos usually end up taking up most of the trainer's time, as well as cause major distraction among the other dogs. Also, she does feel that everyone's safety is her responsibility. She never just kicks someone out, but always offers to train with them in a different situation.

Liv

Kokoda - GSD - 31.03.09
Onyx - GSD - 05.09.09

The man on top of the mountain didn't fall there --Anonymous
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Crowned Member

We had a 'crazy' dog in our first OB class. The instructor gave him two weeks, and then by the third week the man and his dog were gone. She told him he would need one on one training.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Knighted Member

I think the trainer needs to step in. This pair is not ready for this level of training yet and maybe they should just work on exercises on the sideline, but that is between her and the trainer.

I've opted out of some exercises that I know my dog was not ready to handle and worked on focus.

It's not fair to everyone else, and it is not fair for this dog and his handler either.

Talk to the trainer in context of your dog. Ask them for suggestions on what you can do to make it pleasant for your dog.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 02:31 PM

I agree. our trainer put Lizzie in private class because of her reactions and because she was intimidating to other dogs. We did not object and would not have had a good experience in a class with others.

Diane from Georgia
Lizzie's mom
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:17 PM

A lot of places offer classes specifically for dogs who flare up. I know because my dog is enrolled! Perhaps the instructor should suggest this type of training for her until she can get control of him. It may not be a safe environment for her dog or other dogs.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:51 PM
Crowned Member

you should definitely talk to the trainer. Obviously this pair is troublesome and the dog needs to learn control and the handler needs to learn how to control and handle the dog. I would say if the trainer isnt willing to make the area safe for all, it may be best to find one who will. Part of training is learning to obey and be around other dogs/distractions. i get the impression this woman isnt keeping up with training at home as well as attending the classes and those are the kinds of people who shouldnt have dogs and if they do, they certainly shouldnt have them in a group class. Maybe you could politely ask why she's against prong collars? you could even suggest one of those ease harnesses that prevent pulling.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Ok my opinion does not fall into this line.

Grow some patience. Work on keeping yourself and your dog calm and safe within the class. The chances of this dog EATING your dog here in class are pretty slim. If the dog is acting up, and you are near it, calmly walk your dog to the other side of the room.

Everyone's dog and every handler is at a different place. Working around other dogs might be what this dog needs to work on. Private lessons would not help at all.

If our trainer put all the reactive dogs in a class together, they would carry her out on a stretcher after the first class. Furthermore, reactive dogs really need to work around stable dogs.

And you and your dog need to stay calm and act appropriately in this setting around a dog that is not doing so hot. No where else will you be able to practice this safer. And the chances are, you will have plenty of opportunities outside of class where this experience will be invaluable.

It is great that in your opinion, you and your dog are ready for class #3.

Sometimes we are the stable, well behaved teams; sometimes we are the ones needing a little more patience.

I'll be damned if my trainer EVER requires me to put a prong collar on my dog. For one thing, they are not all that safe, they open and then what do you have, an unmanageable dog running around without a handle. Nothing wrong with the suggestion, but requiring that in my opinion is not appropriate. Requireing a collar the dog cannot slip, like a martingale or choke is ok for safety if the dog has slipped its collar.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page