Any suggestions about which way to go - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Question Any suggestions about which way to go

So Luno is 5.5 month old and finish his puppy class weeks ago and it is time for him to be enrolled into something more grown up. Luno is a purebred but I haven't sent in his AKC papers. I want to start something else other than obedience and I was looking for suggestions and whether it is usual to do multiple things such as agility and Schutzhund and do I need to send in papers. Plus like I said before hes not registered, not thinking it was important since hes neutered and I wont be breeding him does this matter? I just want to find something that is fun for both of us to learn together since this is new for both of us. Plus I'm in the central IL area (Peoria) any suggestions on where to go, or any experiences from local places.

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Elite Member

One benefit of registration is you can participate in AKC events. If you want to do AKC agility and stuff, you'll need to send in his papers.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Crowned Member

You can participate in agility or rally classes with an unregistered dog. If you want to do the AKC events, get an ILP registration.
For SchH you don't need anything but a dog that has the right stuff!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-15-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to ba1614
Abby and I done an agility class for pups and that was enjoyable.
My favorite thing to do is tracking, and we are slowly working our way into it. Abby is a natural and I'm very excited to see what some formal training might do for her.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunoLUV View Post
So Luno is 5.5 month old and finish his puppy class weeks ago and it is time for him to be enrolled into something more grown up. Luno is a purebred but I haven't sent in his AKC papers. I want to start something else other than obedience and I was looking for suggestions and whether it is usual to do multiple things such as agility and Schutzhund and do I need to send in papers. Plus like I said before hes not registered, not thinking it was important since hes neutered and I wont be breeding him does this matter? I just want to find something that is fun for both of us to learn together since this is new for both of us. Plus I'm in the central IL area (Peoria) any suggestions on where to go, or any experiences from local places.

All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!!!
I'm in Peoria Heights

There is a SchH club in Dunlap - I have not checked them out yet
if you are willing to drive a bit there is also one in Springfield

There is an agility place at Peoria Obedience Training Club (POTC)- will be checking that out in a month

Where have you been taking classes?

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi all and thank for all the advice!!!!! We have only done the puppy class at petsmart mainly for the socializing and to teach me to teach him basic commands I was looking at that website as well POTC.

Sagefln~ do you ever take sage to the off leash park at bradley? I never see any Shepherds!!!!!!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

I didn't finish my thought..... I meant to say that I looked at there website and it looks really nice hopefully someone on here has used them before! I'm just looking for some one with personal experience with the trainers there.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunoLUV View Post
I didn't finish my thought..... I meant to say that I looked at there website and it looks really nice hopefully someone on here has used them before! I'm just looking for some one with personal experience with the trainers there.
I met with some people from there at the "Bark in the park" event on Sunday. They seemed really knowledgeable and nice.

I would stay away from Heartland Dog Training. They only allow choke collar training.

Who did you have at Petsmart? I know both Keneen and Lucas. They are decent trainers. I go there for socialization and to keep Sage busy.

I do go to Bradley dog park. Lately I've been going to the upper park because its less crowded (room to play frisbee) and all the problem dogs seem to be at the lower park. If its not crowded though I am at the lower one. I've only seen 2 GSDs at the park. If its nice I'll probably go Sunday.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Sagelfn~ I haven't taken classes in Peoria petsmart it was in another area. Thanks for the information on Heartland I really do not want to use any kind of choke collar ever.

Does anyone know what they use in SchH training, is it more of an aggressive kind of training or clicker training? I'm new to all of this so I don't know. Luno knows what the clicker is but I do not use it religiously about 50/50 when we train is that bad?!?!?!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Crowned Member

a clicker is a marker so if you are giving a cosistant marker then you should be fine.

I've only just started looking into SchH, you might want to start a new thread about SchH training methods. I'm pretty sure with young pups and any dog just starting out the focus is to build confidence and teach the dog what to do. Once the dog knows what to do then corrections come in when the dogs doesn't comply. The type of correction will vary.

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page