CGC test questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Question CGC test questions

I have signed up to take the CGC/Therapy Dog test with my dad's black lab.

Anything I need to know before hand? How can I stage a "fake" test? Is a flat collar or harness better? He does everything off leash right now (he's 7ish years old) Thor isn't AKC, that isn't a problem is it?

We're so excited to start, once we pass we get to go to the childrens' nuero unit at the local hospital
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:07 AM
Crowned Member

Let's see if I remember- just had the usual heel with turns, a sit/stay, down/stay, the dog had to sit for examination, greet a stranger with their dog, recall from 10 ft., we had to leave the dog with someone while we left the building for 3 mins I think. Whatever collar you normally use, except prongs aren't allowed. I'm sure your guy will pass!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

If you go to YouTube and search for CGC tests you should come up with a bucket load of video's to watch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

You can get the details of the exercises and rules for the entire test off the AKC website. Best thing would be to read them there so you're familiar with it, and then maybe do a practice run on things like the friendly greeting with another dog, etc... if you can. None of the CGC exercises are difficult and none should be a problem with a dog who's decently trained and has an overall sound temperament. But doesn't hurt to do a run through ahead of time for peace of mind.

I've never considered using a harness, and am not sure they are allowed (I'm sure it says in the rules), and would just use a flat collar.

A dog does not need to be AKC registered, or a purebred, to test for the CGC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

The only thing my dogs didn't like about the test was being left in a room with a stranger. Definitely practice that one.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Harnesses are not allowed. Here is a link to the test elements: AKC's Canine Good Citizen (CGC) Program

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page