Trainer wants to take my dog without me!!!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Trainer wants to take my dog without me!!!!!

Hi i have a question for all you lovely GSD lovers out there..

I met a dog trainer yesterday for the first time with my 7 month old dog.
We took a little walk and talked about whats going on with him (dog) and what training i wanted to do.

My GSD pulls a lot on the lead and is very protective. what i mean by protective is if someone walks up and talks to me he barks and sometimes pulls towards them. he doesn't show his teeth to them he just barks.
Now i've never let him get close to someone to see if he would snap or try and bite them, anyways we went over that and the trainer said to me that he wants to spend an hour a day for the first 3 days with the dog and me and then after that for a week he wants to turn up and pick my dog up and take him and train him without me (an hour per day) and after the week he is going to show me what to do.

SO my question is has anyone ever done something like that???
Me personnaly i don't like the idea of some guy taking my boy away for an hour without me and i was thinking its best if i was there from the get go as its me he has to listen to for the rest of his life.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 06:15 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Go with your gut - a good trainer will do wonders training YOU to train your dog! I would not agree to this either. Why does he want to have the dog without you?
Makes no sense to me. It is more important that YOU learn how to work with your dog and how to handle him - to fix certain behaviour problems, I would put my money in private lessons instead.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Crowned Member

Weird circumstances IMHO. You should, at the very least, be present.

Some trainers do take dogs in for "in kennel training" in which the dog lives on their property, they work with it several times a day, and then after x amount of time they train you to work with the dog. But I've never heard of one just picking it up and leaving for an hr, then returning. No, I wouldn't allow this.

In kennel training is different IMHO. The dog lives with the person or interacts with them multiple times a day. Many on this forum will tell you the dog may get trained, but will revert once back with you. this is not true, if you are with a qualified and professional trainer and dedicated to learning. It's easier to learn with a dog that already has a foundation laid than it is for two newbies (you and the dog) to go from A - Z. If the trainer teaches the dog the behaviors and commands, you simply need to learn proper implementation and corrections/rewards. Many dogs are pre-trained for someone who wouldn't be able to train the dog themselves, but can certainly learn to continue the training (such as service dogs, police dogs, etc).

Last edited by Rerun; 10-09-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

I agree, I wouldn't let anyone take my dog, who knows what the guy will be doing? There's no reason why he can't teach you how to train your dog.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Crowned Member

No way would I let a trainer take my dog unless I had a very trusting relationship, but then most of the trainers I know would train me along with my dog, so it wouldn't ever happen!
Especially since your pup is only 7 months old, not set in his ways and there is nothing in his temperament that a strong handler can't work thru.
The age is the stage most often that is difficult, pup is gaining independence, but not mature enough to assess situations, so reactive behavior begins. It is up to the owner to show the pup he doesn't have to react.
Even if this were a mature dog that had behavioral issues I still wouldn't allow it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Banned

Ditto to the above - no need for the trainer to take the dog away from you. You want the trainer to show YOU how to train your dog.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Hi everyone
THANK you very much for the info and advise.
i'm going to go with my gut and you guys on this and not let anyone take my boy away for an hour or even 10 mins ;-) as soon as he said that to me i didn't think it was right and the more i think about it the more i don't like the idea.

I'm not 100% sure i understand what kennel training is? I think its like the big travel box that you let him sleep????? anyways i don't have one of them (if that is it) i just wanted some help with his barking at strangers and to get him to stop pulling as he's already pretty good at doing tricks (sit, down, leave it -for food & everything-, roll, high five right/left paw, jump, speak and i can even shoot him with my finger and he plays dead.) i just can't seem to get him to stop the barking and pulling.

So i think i'm going to give this guy a miss and find someone else to help and read through the forum a lot more

Has anyone had this problem with their GSD and do you have any tips???
BIG thanks again for the info guys
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Crowned Member

Don't you wonder what kind of training he'll be doing and why you can't be there to see it?

I wouldn't do it.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
Don't you wonder what kind of training he'll be doing and why you can't be there to see it?
Not really, it's much faster and easier to train a dog by beating the tar out of them, into sbmission. It's just something no owner could ever stomach seeing being done to their pet.
I'd never do it or recommend anyone else do it... a neighbor or mine had a dog trained that way... the results were excellent but sad at the same time when you wondered what must have been done to the dog
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-09-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post

I wouldn't do it.
Hi i think you need to read all the comments on this page as like i said i didn't want to let him take him.

FYI
This is my first GSD (& dog) so i really don't know how the training side of things work so thats why i signed up to a place like this to find out from people with lots of experience to give me some advise about it as its the first ever trainer i had talked to and like i said above when he told me that he wanted to take my dog i didn't like the idea and i was wondering if that was something a lot of trainers do and like the great guys above also informed me it was NOT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page