Critique Our Off-Lead Heeling! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Critique Our Off-Lead Heeling!

I recently decided to start expanding our OB horizens and do off COLLAR heels with Elsa. I figure that's the true way to do "off lead", right??

I did a self-video tonight of our doing it. Kept it short for you guys (although please excuse the long start and finish of nothing...this is my first video upload try and I have nooo idea if you can edit the length??)

I was super stiff and nervous since I know I had the intent of posting it on here (something much more intimidating about video rather than pictures)..and our about turn is pretty, um, wide. And what's with her not really sitting at the end fully?! Oh, and she has just started this thing where she's bumping into my leg constantly. How did the decide to develope?

Any other pointers? It's still a work in progress. I feel much more confident with the collar still on...it's like training wheels...just in case I need to grab it, it's there!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Crowned Member

Looks good. If she's bumping you and wrapping in front, try holding the reward in your left hand (or out of sight). I think she wants what you have and that's why she will crowd you.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
Looks good. If she's bumping you and wrapping in front, try holding the reward in your left hand (or out of sight). I think she wants what you have and that's why she will crowd you.
Oooh! Good point. Until you said that, I didn't even realize how far to the right that I was holding the ball. When I do it, I feel like it's way off to the left...when I relooked at the video, not so much!

Thanks!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Crowned Member

Definitely have the reward in your left hand if it's gonna be in site.. If this is something new you're doing with your dog I would reward often in the beginning to keep the dog engaged..

It looks good.. I would like to see what it would look like in a big field, where you can really move out... And make wide left circles.. I think it would be a nice picture..

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Elite Member

It looks very nice. Put the ball under your left armpit. Never release the dog forward for a reward. They will want to forge ahead for it. Release back. What that should look like is when you halt, release with your command as you take a step back and drop or toss back the toy. For proofing, put the reward (toy) on the ground and heel around it (do a heel pattern for example). That might be something you do with her after she knows what heel off leash is (if she doesnt yet). I know you were working in a small area for the video, but do you normally walk at a pace that is rather fast (but not for the dog). GSD's have a natural fast gait and when I heel, I walk fast. Keeps their attention too. I think you were walking kinda fast from what I saw. Wish we could get together some time to train. Her attention to your face looked good, but that could just be from the ball you were holding, how is she without the ball?

Dawn

Dawn Brogan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 02:39 AM
Crowned Member

well i'm impressed! i have no input for you as i'm still working with my dogs. Wish i had more time to work with them right now. Wish i could figure out what triggers Shelby's attention. But i think you did very well.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks for the suggestion about not throwing it forward. I think I need more work at under the armpit. I've tried that and dropping it, but I always feel so akward with stuff on my left side. It's much more comfortable to hold it across my body. But I need to get over it and practice it apparently. She's pretty good about paying attention with or without a reward. Obviously easier with the reward and we're working on attention a little better at new places with lots of distractions.

Walking stiff and kind of slow because I was guesstimating where the video was shooting (and was all flustered and nervous--I'm such a dork!).

Thank you so much for all the pointers, guys!

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:06 AM
Master Member

I think it looks great, im still in the beginners stage too! I can't wait to get to where your at now.

Jo
Kitty 10/1990-10/23/08 kitty rip
Koda 1/20/00-10/03/09 gsd rip.
Kassie 6/1/08 kitty
Zorro VomTraumhof-1/3/11-gsd,Ob101,CGC,RN,RA
Ryker 2/20/10-gsd "Poseidon VomTraumhof"
VP5 3-6 mo. confm.VP1
6-9 mo.confrm.
AKC S.T.A.R pup,Obed.101, CGC.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
(although please excuse the long start and finish of nothing...this is my first video upload try and I have nooo idea if you can edit the length??)
Do you have windows movie maker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page