my very friendly puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

my very friendly puppy

hello guys
i have a 5 months puppy which is very friendly with me, friends and even strangers, i'm ok with everything but i want him to be worry about strangers plus i want him to protect himself and I when he get older, yeah i don't expect anything from him now but later...
today i have met a very good dogs trainer and i talked to him about my friendly Mars, he said for 5 months old german shepherd, he shouldn't be very friendly with strangers, he said i shouldn't let anybody to pet him or walk him except me or feed him, is that true? and my second question if my puppy is friendly when he's young, he will be same when he's old?
and a one more thing, i barley barley barley hear him barking, is that good? he's 5 months !
please help me in what to do with him, i want him as a protection dog for himself and I and vert be strong enough but not aggressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 AM
Crowned Member

He is only 5 months old, you need to socialize, socialize!!! The protective side won't come out till he is much older. I normally socialize my dogs till they are about 10 months old and then I back off. You don't want a dog that you can't bring around people because he is stranger aggressive.

Carolina Johnson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 09:55 AM
Crowned Member

Do you want a dog that tries to protect you from your mother, boyfriend/girlfriend, or neighborhood kids? Do you want a dog that protects himself from the vet or the groomer? If you go on vacation, do you want a dog that won't take food from the staff at the boarding kennel or the housesitter?

This trainer is a nut. Any dog that's not socialized is a huge liability. Your dog needs to be able to be trusted around kids, old people, people in wheelchairs, the vet, the groomer, etc. A well-socialized dog is a dog that is able to distinguish a threat from grandma giving you a hug. A dog that isn't socialized will try to protect you from grandma and himself from the vet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

My Chief was very friendly like that all his life. I socialized the heck out of him, like I am doing with Wolfie. I worried that he wouldn't protect me from strangers, and I was wrong. The first time he protected me, I was in shock. I couldn't believe he did this. A salesman came to the door. Chief was sitting behind me. I told him I wasn't interested. He kept talking, again I said thank you but no. Offering to leave a sample, he opened my screen door, and from behind me, Chief lunged right at him growling, teeth bared. Your dog will protect you even if he is a friendly guy.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Banned

Agree with Emoore. Let your puppy be a puppy. He will start to show protectiveness pretty soon and you will be surprised by the size of the bark that comes out of him. You are lucky to have a 'nice' dog. Don't worry, he won't let you down.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

yeah i agree with you guys, this dogs as a puppy shows alot of love, he never let someone walk him away from me, he start pulling and grabbing stuff to stay near me, i run and he's always behind me, plus he leave whatever to come to me even he's best food and toys, but i'm worried first because he doesn't bark and lets everybody to play with him and for what the trainer said, 2nd because i don't keep him in my house, i keep him free on my roof or garden.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Crowned Member

A well adjusted, friendly dog will know the difference between an actual threat and just a situation that he's unfamiliar with so is scary. Socialize the dog as much as possilbe.

Elaine and the herd
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM
Knighted Member

I love friendly GSD puppies!!!! At his age he should be CRAZY FRIENDLY!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:47 AM

I've a friend whose GSD was not well socialized. he too wanted to use his dog as a guard dog. But believe me, it was a nuisance. This dog would not tolerate any guests in the house as all. Guests would come to their house and wait in the car till their GSD was locked up in the garage before stepping out of the car. If that is what you want in your dog, then follow your current trainer' advise and be sure to buy some extra liability insurance for yourself (umbrella policy).
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Elite Member

You can never socialize your puppy too much. I agree with everyone else, the protective side in your puppy will come out as he matures.

As for the barking...my current GSD never barked until she was about 7-8 months old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page