Crate Training? How? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Wink Crate Training? How?

Hey,

I adopted a 7 month old white GS on Sunday, from a family that seemed to be inconsistend in his training although I do think they meant well. I've made good progress so far with his fear of people, barking at new ppl coming to the door, his skittishness with other dogs, and have established myself as the leader.

What I think I will have the biggest challenge with is the crate training. Admittedly the dog will be along for up to 8 hours per day (usually 6-7), and so I want to implement the crate as the pervious owners told me that he destroyed there couch after just being alone for a couple hours.

So far, the first night of the crate (Monday night) he cried until 4am, and today (tuesday) he was put in his crate for about 2 hours, and not only tore up his bed that I got from the previous owners, but he dented the front of the crate trying to force his way out to the point where he scraped his nose good. I did spend time today before heading to work making the crate seem as positive as possible, and I did not allow him out of his crate when I got home until he was in a calm state, lying down.

Should I expect this to be several days or weeks of training for the crate, and any other tips that you have used for a dog that may have seperation anxiety?

Thanks Everyone in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:25 PM Thread Starter

typos

excuse the typos.. this is a silly mini-keyboard.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Elite Member

Make the crate a nice and fun place for him to be. Make sure he has toys in there so he can play with them and that you don't leave him in there too long for the first couple of weeks. If he isn't used to the crate you want it to be a positive experience for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Crowned Member

If you use the search function there are lots of threads about crate training. You will need to treat it much like a new puppy (only less potty breaks )

All good things should include the crate. Give treats in the crate, meals in the crate, delicious bully sticks/chews in the crate. For now don't put anything in his crate that he may tear up. Don't let him out when he's throwing a fit. Don't put him in the crate as punishment. Make sure he's had plenty of mental/physical exercise before you put him in the crate.

Make sure the crate is sturdy and secure. Make sure he can't injure himself on it. If this is a wire crate you might try putting a light blanket over the crate covering the top and sides to help it seem more secure/den like or purchase a plastic crate.

Crate him when you're at home for a few mintues and leave the room. Build on the time. Don't only crate him when you're leaving.

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Crowned Member

put treats in crate - when you are home in the same room and the door to the crate is open.. Get him used to going in the crate willingly before closing him in. He needs more attention and patience since he's not a little puppy and has a 'history.'

Just my opiniong.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Knighted Member

I would have started leaving the door open at first and just throwing treats in there until he climbed in. Then I would keep him there while throwing more treats in again with door open. I realize you don't have this option to do it slow since you have to work but zip ties go a long way in preventing him from getting caught in the crate while your gone. Just tie them around all the corners where the frames meet securely so he can't get a snout or paw stuck and bend the crate even more. I use three per side to make it extra secure In a week or so he will have adjusted but for now all you can do is pop on your ipod and ignore
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

Smile Thanks For The Tips

Thanks everyone for the feedback - and dang that was quick lol. I especially like the idea of putting his food in there.

Thanks all.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You also may want to put the crate in your bedroom, beside your bed, and crate him at night.

That way you are right there to reassure him. And right there to quiet him. And he will learn that the crate is a great place to sleep and be near you!

That way when you DO crate him and leave, he already has good memories of the crate.

I ALWAYS toss a treat in the rear of the crate when my dog needs to go in (or give it to him after she gets in), no matter how old they are or how well crate trained.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
You also may want to put the crate in your bedroom, beside your bed, and crate him at night.

That way you are right there to reassure him. And right there to quiet him. And he will learn that the crate is a great place to sleep and be near you!

That way when you DO crate him and leave, he already has good memories of the crate.

I ALWAYS toss a treat in the rear of the crate when my dog needs to go in (or give it to him after she gets in), no matter how old they are or how well crate trained.
I really want to do this, but there's no way we can fit his crate in there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

So last night (tuesday) was much better. First I took him out to the bathroom and made sure he did both of his business. Then we went for a long walk, long enough where he was starting to lag behind me. The moment we got home I put him in his crate with some treats and his kong with some peanut butter in it, and put a blanket over it. Immediatly all the lights went off and i got into bed. He whined for about 45 minutes, to which every whine I made the "shht" noise that ciser milan makes, and after the 45 minutes he was totally quiet.

Even in the morning when he saw me walking around he didnt get excited at all, just kep laying there until I let him out.

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page