Clicker training - should it be done in "group" setting - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Clicker training - should it be done in "group" setting

I have a few questions as clicker training is very new to me. Our training facility promotes the use of clicker training, with corrections when needed.

Dante is the first dog I've ever used a clicker with. I do several short sessions a day with him, right now working on focus (which he is spectacular at), sit (also great at), and starting down and "by heel" (setting up for a heel position).

He is doing remarkably well and I'm shocked how well this works. I have a few questions though. Our first class doesn't start until Sat. What happens when the group of 20'ish people are clicking away with their puppies in one big room? Won't he get confused hearing all the clicks or will the focus teach him to only listen to "our" clicker? The first class was info only, and what to work on this week.

Up until today I was working with him in the house or in the front yard, but figured distractions would be good for focus training. However, I started working yesterday with Micah and Kodi on the clicker (just loading it - click - treat and sit - click - treat). So today, they heard the click and came running! It only took seconds before I had two big guys sitting side by side with Dante interested in focus training.

Cute, but how practical is this at this stage? As it was Dante's training session, they weren't getting treats when they heard the clicker. Will this mess them up? Should I keep working them all seperate from eachother so they don't think they aren't getting rewarded for good behavior?

As a sidenote, Dante did awesome and couldn't have cared less what they were doing. He was 100% focus'd on me. I have to admit this is an interesting training method, and I'm going through cheerios like crazy (haha) between all of them, but they sure do respond well to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

Twenty dogs in one group? In a building? And clickers?

For me, personally that would be a little too much. I prefer small groups of five dogs, or less than that and/or single training.

You probably can't even hear your own click with all that noise from the other dogs and their handlers.

While I know that we haven't had issues in a group outdoors I am not certain how it would work indoors.

Personally, I wouldn't want to train in such a large group.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

I have wondered this same question, plus can you work a clicker with two dogs at once? At home, I mean. If you click for one dog, and dog two hears the click but doesn't get a treat because it's not for her, than won't it eventually wreck the clicker for her?

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Crowned Member

I can't imagine how that would work, I've never seen a group that size use clicker training. I did use it on my two pups at once mostly for teaching recall and they waited their turns for the treat.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Well, they turn out excellent results in the training. It's a huge facility and 20 in a puppy class is apparently a small class. so it must work somehow, but I'm just not sure how.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
I have wondered this same question, plus can you work a clicker with two dogs at once? At home, I mean. If you click for one dog, and dog two hears the click but doesn't get a treat because it's not for her, than won't it eventually wreck the clicker for her?
i don't use the clicker on multiple dogs the same time. Because of that issue I used my husbands office as a clickerroom and left the other two in the livingroom. That way they knew it wasn their time of training.

As for large groups, personally, I don't like training in large groups. I didn't get anywhere and had much better results training by myself.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

We like the socialization of a large group class setting, so that's why we enroll in classes with all the dogs. I've never trained at this facility previously, but they offer year long training groups for advanced OB and agility, which no one else around offers. In order to join the groups you must first complete novice OB (min age 5 1/2 mo) so we figured we would just take him through puppy for the socialization and then novice so we can graduate into the advanced OB or agility group.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Banned

Well, if it works, why not.

Do they have just one or multiple trainers for such a large group?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Crowned Member

Wow, 20 dogs in one class is a lot. When I took Levels classes, a "full" class was 8 people and their dogs - and they would have two or three trainers in the class to ensure everyone understood and was doing the exercises correctly. 20 dogs and their people in one room, with clickers, and with only one trainer doesn't sound like much learning is going to happen. Socialization, yes, but not as well-supervised by a trainer as I would like, as far as I'm concerned.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Crowned Member

I don't think the classes I've taken that used clickers were that large, the most was probably 10 dogs. However there was never any confusion except maybe for the first few minutes of the first class session, if a dog was not used to being in a place where other people are using clickers.

It's basically like saying being in a group class, your dog would get confused by the other people giving their dogs commands or praise. You can have a large group of dogs in a training class, but when you tell your dog to sit every dog in the class does not sit do they?

The dogs realize very quickly that they only get a reward when their owner clicks and I've never seen a dog have trouble tuning out the other people clicking while still responding to their own owner. The first few times they hear a click from across the room they might whip their head around and look for a treat, but they figure it out pretty quick. Dogs have very good hearing, and I am sure there are subtle differences between each clicker that they can pick up, plus the fact that they have no bond with the other dog owners and are used to paying attention to their own person and not to everyone in the room.

As far as clicker training several dogs at once at home, I know some people who do but they usually find a way to differentiate between the dogs such as having different clickers/noises, or saying the dog's name before clicking so the dogs can tell which dog you mean. Personally I've found it easier to separate my dogs (when I had more than one) while working with one at a time. This avoids confusing or the possibility of reinforcing a dog for the 'wrong' thing.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page