Can I clicker train if I haven't used a clicker before? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Can I clicker train if I haven't used a clicker before?

Hi, I looked around in the training thread and didn't see this addressed, so I thought I would ask. Dakota has never been clicker trained. Would I be able to clicker train her to do tricks? Or would this just confuse her since she's never learned anything with a clicker? She knows sit, down, stay, heel etc. so obviously I wouldn't use a clicker now for those behaviors. I just wanted to teach her some cool tricks and since I'll be clicker training Jackie, wanted to know if I could teach Dakota the tricks with a clicker. Thanks!

Donna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Crowned Member

I started clicker training when Stosh was about 4 mos and Uschi was 7 mos. They loved it! It was great to get Uschi's attention, she had gotten bored with other stuff. I used it for teaching tricks and it worked really well. So yeah, try it out no matter what the age. I hate to fight trying to use it like a remote control and remember to click when they did the behavior not use it to make them do it. It's fun
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Yes, you can start using a clicker at any time and it will not confuse them. It helps though to "load" the clicker before beginning, so they understand what the click means. The way you do this is get a bunch of treats, and click and treat just sitting there. Do this a few times, once the dog is expecting the treat as soon as they hear the click the clicker is "loaded."

When I first started clicker training I then moved into using the clicker with the things my dog already knew. Ask for a sit, and when she sits I clicked and then treated. I think this also helped build up the understanding of what the clicker meant before I started using it with new behaviors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

I started clicker training when my terrier mix was like 6-8 years old and never had a problem with that. He also knew the obedience basics already so I mostly used it for tricks and stuff until he lost his hearing. When that happened I used clicker training to brush up on his hand signals and teach him hand signals for the commands he did not already know hand signals for.

Bianca was trained using traditional Schutzhund-type/correction training methods in her previous home, I got her at 4 1/2 and started clicker training with her no problem. I did re-train some of her basic obedience though in order to teach her English since she was previously trained in German (and started from scratch with heel and stay because she was so 'rusty' with that she did not even respond to the German.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Absolutely. Check out Karen Pryors website for good info

Lysa

Norse Magic vom Kriegershaus "Rune" (Dec 08)
Kriegershaus Scout vom Haus Rauch (Dec 12)
At the Bridge: Magnus (1998-2010)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM

I agree, you can use that clicker anytime. Make sure you "load" it, look for some videos to give you an idea of loading it.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:56 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Of course you can! Have you done any marker training with her previously? If you've used a verbal marker, you just substitute the clicker for the word. If not, just load the clicker first.

I've been doing marker training for nearly 10 years, either with a clicker or a verbal marker. My two current and two previous GSDs were trained that way from the beginning, and because they're such a smart breed I've never bothered to load the clicker before using it. But for an older dog that is new to a clicker it's probably a good idea to start there.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 11:17 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

You certainly can! Just make sure you really spend some quality time 'charging the clicker' to make it worth value before you start.

Charging the Clicker

first step of clicker training Charging the Clicker

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude

Last edited by MaggieRoseLee; 10-04-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page