Training with or without treats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Training with or without treats

I have a question regarding training. With out 2 yo GSD, we hired a trainer to come to our home, train her and teach us how to train her. He didn't use treats as motivation, only praise. She does well and would probably do even better if I worked with her more often. Sometimes she won't obey a command if she's outside and seems to be excited. However, if her e collar is on, she does excellent.

Now to the question. I'm starting to train our new girl. I admit, even though we've had a trainer in here, I just don't seem to really have the knack for training. Some people seem to have the golden touch, but I don't feel like I do. I've looked at you tube vidoes and of course they make it look so easy. You never seem to see a video of a beginning puppy. In your opinion, does it help to use treats? Do you find you get better results? If you use treats, then do you always have to use them? I guess I have the mindset that once you use them, you'll always have to or the dog won't obey. Will the dog not obey if they eventually don't get treats? When teaching them to do fun tricks, do you always have to use treats? I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks!!

Donna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM
Crowned Member

I think treats are great for pups, especially if they are food motivated. Luring them into the positions you want and marking it(clicker or a key word), then treating works very well for the young ones. I like to mix up the treats with a bit of tug to keep the pup engaged and don't spend more than 5 minutes training sessions for the little ones.
You can fade them out eventually.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:29 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit722 View Post
In your opinion, does it help to use treats? Do you find you get better results? If you use treats, then do you always have to use them? I guess I have the mindset that once you use them, you'll always have to or the dog won't obey. Will the dog not obey if they eventually don't get treats? When teaching them to do fun tricks, do you always have to use treats?
Yes! Motivational training is great for young puppies, and there are plenty of videos online showing puppies trained with treats. And your other questions have been asked and answered numerous times in clicker training threads, one of them was active within the last day or two. Try doing using the search feature for clicker training and you'll get tons of information. You don't have to actually use a clicker, you can use a verbal marker such as "yes!", but the general concept is the same. The recent thread had a couple of video links with young puppies if I remember correctly.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:43 PM
The Italian One

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I think treats are great for pups, especially if they are food motivated. Luring them into the positions you want and marking it(clicker or a key word), then treating works very well for the young ones. I like to mix up the treats with a bit of tug to keep the pup engaged and don't spend more than 5 minutes training sessions for the little ones.
You can fade them out eventually.
And for me, this is the key sentence. IF they are food motivated.

Usually, treats work great for most puppies but occasionally you come across that one puppy who could care less about food/treats. I think if you find what motivates your puppy - that's what you should use.

Home of Sundance, Butch & Wyatt

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for the input, I appreciate it. Yeah, I've seen a lot of videos online showing the training with treats so I'll go back to those. If she's not motivated by treats, I'll look for what motivates her. And I'll look for that recent thread.

Donna

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:50 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I found the one I was thinking of where MRL posted the videos:

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post1911393

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
Banned

there you go, work with her more often. there's no
tricks or being a whisper'er to dog training and
socializing. you have to do it daily and several
times a day. work in sessions. each session should last
5 or 10 minutes. you should have many sessions during
a day.

there's no knack of training. you have to put the time in.
when your dog is doing something wrong it's your fault.
train, train, train and socialize, socialize and socialize.
don't blame the dog.

if you don't know how to train why don't you
find a private trainer or a class????

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebit722 View Post
She does well and would probably do even better if I worked with her more often. Sometimes she won't obey a command if she's outside and seems to be excited. However, if her e collar is on, she does excellent.

Now to the question. I'm starting to train our new girl. I admit, even though we've had a trainer in here, I just don't seem to really have the knack for training.

Thanks!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Knighted Member

Employing a clicker with treats is also really helpful. Using only compulsion methods like a shock collar usually backfire because the dog gets used to it and stops obeying....as in their not really learning to obey just being made to. If their not food motivated toys, jogging, or other desired play work as well
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Doggiedad, when she was younger I worked with her more often than now. But our trainer taught without treats, so that's why I was asking about that now that we have a new puppy and it seems like the experts use treats. So you're 100% correct that I need to work with her more. Guilty!! I've started that again lately.

Zoeys mom, thanks for the input. The biggest reason we got the shock collar was because although she knew the commands and would follow them most of the time, sometimes when we were out playing fetch, she would get distracted and take off on me and not respond to the commands. We're on three acres of land that is not completely fenced in, so that scared me. I have to say that when I put her collar on her now, I don't even have to actually use it. She'll follow the commands without me pushing the button. She knows what drawer of my desk it's kept in, so when I open the drawer, she gets all excited and runs over for it to be put on because she knows that means we're going out to play. More times than not now, I don't even put it on her. Since she's getting older, she doesn't take off like she used to. Thank you for educating me on this though. We try to do the right thing with our gsd's and this site has been tremendous in helping us. I believe I'm going to start using treats as well as keep praising them when they do the right thing.

Donna

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Debbie, thank you!

Donna

Our girls
Jackie - GSD 6/18/10
Dakota - GSD 7/15/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page