Training Me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Training Me

I am looking into obedience classes but not really for the dog. My wife and I have just adopted Abby, who is a wonderfully behaved seven year old GSD. She minds very well but at times just resists a little. We don't want to teach her any bad habbits and since my wife is new to large dogs and I only have experience with farm dogs that worked independently, we are the ones who need the training.

I was wondering if it would be best for us to sign up for a basic class or if private classes would be better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

You are so lucky to have gotten a wonderful new dog that is so well behaved! If she's that good, it probably doesn't matter which type of class you take her to, but I usually prefer group classes for the distraction factor.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Banned

i like private lessons in the begining.
i go to group classes later on. distractions
are good but like anything else i add them in slowly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Crowned Member

I'd say group classes would benefit the whole family, your dog will get to see some friends, you'll meet new people and get some advice. It's also a good way to make sure you'll train since you'll have a goal for the next week. Congratulations on your new girl!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Knighted Member

I like group classes, then you can see how she'll be around others. Don't feel bad, I have been to ton's of classes and I'm still learning.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

On reading my post I realized that I should have made the reason for my question a bit clearer. Abby has a canine good citizen certificate and the therapy dog certification with her old family has not expired yet.

Since she is so well trained I was wondering if a few private lessons would get me up to speed better than a group obedience class.

Yes, my dog is smarter than me.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Crowned Member

I think it's whatever you are comfortable with. You have an already trained dog so it's all about you learning. It might give you a better idea of her socialization if you took a group class.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds like she is a well behaved and mild mannered dog, but that doesn't affect both of your needs to go to dog school. She can always use more classes and you say you need them both. It doesn't matter which type of class you go to, private or group, for what you are looking to get out of it. I still think a group class is better as there are more distractions and you get more chances to learn how to handle her.

Elaine and the herd
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

I like the group classes. You learn from others mistakes and there isn't any pressure on you so if you make a mistake you don't take it so hard on yourself.

Also, there is a huge social network out there of just plain ole' dog lovers. The more people you meet the more resources you have in the future!

Lastly, there is always someone in the class who knows even less than you do! lol.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
She minds very well but at times just resists a little.
Could you describe what you mean by "resists just a little"? Could it be, maybe, that Abby is "resisting" because she does not fully understand what you are asking of her or how you are asking it? Just a thought.

But classes are a great idea for you to bond and learn to better work with one another. Either a private class or group classes should work for this purpose, as long as the trainer uses positive methods and gives you enough one-on-one attention to address any concerns you may have.

Re: what some said about seeing how well-socialized she is or how she's around other dogs, she's very well socialized and perfectly fine around other dogs. (The dog in question is the Abby I used to have.)

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page