Question about my training class - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Question about my training class

Memphis and I are currently in a puppy pre-k. Last week our trainer was great. She loved lots of puppy play time and taught us a little bit at a time. This week we had the Puppy Kindergarten teacher come in and for lack of better words was a huge B****. She seemed very put off of Memphis, and mostly kept telling me the things wrong with him (he needs his nails trimmed, he jumps to much, he isnt focused on the other dogs) and just point out all the negatives she could dig for. She gave all the other dogs "puppy crack" but wouldnt give Memphis any. Memphis was then wining next to the door because he needed to go out. I asked her while he was wining if I can take him out, how thats his signal to me. She sarcastically goes well thats surely the most polite way to ask you.

Then while she was giving the other puppies treats, he wasnt getting any so he would jump up on her and she would take a step forward while lifting her knee kinda hard at him. I am in another training class stricly for GSD's and its mostly focused on Obdience training but its good for Memphis to be around other very well behaved GSD's. In this class the head trainer says you dont do that because you could hit the dog hard and collapse his chest in.

Am I over reacting or does this sound like the trainer has something against me/Memphis/ GSD's in general?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:29 PM
Crowned Member

you're not over reacting, I would stay with the class that knows the breed. Knee jabs are so old school, it can injure a young pup. Stay with your gut feeling...

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Crowned Member

Well it certainly would piss me off if a trainer did that to my dog! There's no reason for a trainer to first of all touch you dog in that manner, second of all give you nothing but negatives and third of all exclude your dog from treats or anything else. Never ever have I seen a trainer do that to a dog- I've seen dogs that jumped and the trainer told the person how to correct it but never made contact with the dog themselves. I wouldn't ask permission to take my dog out anyway, it's your dog just do what he needs. I guess I would give it another try next time and if you're unhappy with the treatment I'd definitely complain, ask for a refund and go elsewhere! Check out your local obedience training club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't give them a second try. The trainer clearly is negative and what good would it do to go back? Puppies are so very imprinted during the pre-k classes, it would be detrimental to return, IMO.

I'd let them know the reason I wasn't returning(unfortunately many classes are non-refundable) but I would be asking for a refund in a "dominate" way!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Master Member

Here's what you do: You walk up to the "instructor," about a foot away, and say "You're Fired." The "instructor" seems to have forgotten that you are PAYING her, not that she is doing you a favor by allowing to remain in her beatific presence.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:35 PM
Crowned Member

This whole thing sounds so bizarre...were there any other shepherds in the class? (Wondering if she doesn't like the breed)

Did she say why she wasn't giving Memphis treats? It makes no sense at all. I don't think you're over reacting btw, you probably showed more restraint than most people. I would have been furious.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:47 PM
Crowned Member

i would demand my money back regardless of whether ite refundable or not. There is absolutely NO reason for a DOG TRAINER to treat a dog that way. They're supposed to help people help their dogs to be better canine citizens. If a dog trainer is prejudice against a breed, they have absolutely NO business being a trainer or even dealing with animals. I would be a royal b***h about it. Wouldnt give them a second chance or recommend them. Confront the trainer specifically and ask WHY she felt it appropriate to act that way and mention that if she's prejudice against GSDs she should think of another career choice given the fact that there are other GSDs likely to end up in her class in the future. Not to mention... what other breeds is she against? Having a bad day does not excuse treating someone the way she did. Her behavior is inexcusable.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Elite Member

I'd leave. Perhaps she doesn't like shepherds? Not worth keeping your pup in that atmosphere.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, I will speak with the manager in the am about the whole situation. I forgot to mention they sell orijen and fromm and anika (orijen sister food) and wysong. I asked if they had got any LBP food in from orijen or Fromm. She said they dont make a LBP food from FROMM. Thats when I just walked away. I literally mid sentence just walked away from her. Ill keep you guys up to date the outcome.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Crowned Member

Good luck. That trainer had issues.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page