Hey Don't touch me there!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Hey Don't touch me there!!!

So Matty did extremely well with her first class last night, after getting use to all the other dogs around...

My only question is....The trainer was using her to demo and went to push down on her butt to show others how to train the sit...

She did not like that...She was looking/coming towards me like...Mom..why are you letting that man touch my butt?...I never thought about where other people pet her..should i have others pet her all over her body?

Or is this her natural self preservation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Elite Member

Uh oh...

You should never need to use physical touching to demonstrate a training. The trainer should have used a treat and naturally got the dog to sit by taking the treat near her face and lifting up and back. The dog will naturally sit and learn quick.

-E

-Erich

Jove vom Denali - HOT

Waiting at the Bridge: Samurai and Beausox
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Knighted Member

In class we do a "stand for exam", stand your dog and have him/her stay while the trainer goes around to each dog and touches him/her. We've started that exercise with the trainer giving treats that you handed to her. You can do the touching yourself, it is supposed to give the dog the idea that its ok to be touched on different body parts.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

I think he did it because no one in the class other than me had treats..and he didnt do it forcefully..we will see how future classes go
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Titonsdad. The best way to teach a sit is to lure with a treat. As you bring the treat over the puppy's head, the head will come up and the butt comes down automatically. There is no need to push a sit. The best trainers also let the dog figure out what you want him to do, rather than force it.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Crowned Member

I've been through 4 classes this past year and haven't seen any trainer touch a dog to teach a command. And like TitonsDad said, the instructions were to hold the treat up and lure the head back to get a sit. Same with down, no pushing on the shoulders, just luring down and along the ground. Also, none of the trainers used a student's dog, only their own as a demonstration. They did touch the dog when teaching to stand for examination of course, but not to teach a command
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitonsDad View Post
Uh oh...

You should never need to use physical touching to demonstrate a training. The trainer should have used a treat and naturally got the dog to sit by taking the treat near her face and lifting up and back. The dog will naturally sit and learn quick.

-E

I agree 100%, and in fact was told never to physically force a sit

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 01:07 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

One reason why it's not a great idea to teach sit by pushing down on the butt is the opposition reflex - think of a sled dog pulling into the harness. Some people actually use opposition reflex to strengthen a stand, so pushing like that can actually work against you to get the dog into a sit.

Desensitizing her to be touched all over her body, starting with you and other members of your household that she knows and trusts (using treats to reward as you touch her feet and ears, her belly, her tail, etc.) and then moving to others as she becomes comfortable with it, is a good idea, but I'm more concerned that your trainer is using such outdated and ineffective methods of training. Do you have other options for classes nearby?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
In class we do a "stand for exam", stand your dog and have him/her stay while the trainer goes around to each dog and touches him/her. We've started that exercise with the trainer giving treats that you handed to her. You can do the touching yourself, it is supposed to give the dog the idea that its ok to be touched on different body parts.

We're doing that in puppy class too. And Minna was okay with it the first week. And then last week didn't want the trainer anywhere near her. Hopefully this week will be better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mutt - 06/15/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GSD - 04/26/2010
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Well let's see. In puppy class our instructor had everyone touch their puppies all over their little furry bodies "to get them used to it". A great idea that we have always done with every puppy that we have ever had. It does pay dividends later when you might need to touch them for something anywhere. A dog should not react to it's owners touching anywhere (unless they have an illness or injury of course).

Regarding the sit - true that some folks will do the "Sit" by luring with a piece of food held up higher than their head and wait for the dog to sit.

However the sit can also be taught gently by touching the dog - not by pushing down on their back (that is dangrous if you push too hard or in the wrong place) BUT it is also effective and safe to run your palm down their back and kind of fold their back legs under them to elicit a fast sit when teaching this command. So touching the dog/puppy in this way is not hard on them and does teach the sit very quickly and efficiently with no harm to the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page