Training Questions: crate, potty... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Training Questions: crate, potty...

I plan on crate training my new puppy for at least the first several months. I am wondering the following though:

-How long did your GSD take to potty train?

-Do you leave your adult GSD crated or is it trust worthy loose in the house while you are away?

-With two people, a cat and 3 Iggies already in bed, we don't want to add another 70 lbs dog to the mix. Who encourages their GSD to sleep on a dog bed at night? Does anyone have a small dog in bed and a GSD on the floor without problems?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:30 PM
Crowned Member

My puppies were already housebroken by the breeder so when they came home at 8 wks old I didn't have to potty train. They did sleep in crates by our bed for the first few weeks, then I moved the crates to a different part of the house. I still crate when I'm away from home even though there's never been any problems. Nobody's allowed on carpet so there's freedom at night to sleep in the kitchen or other tiled surfaces. Stosh was about 5 mos old by the time I allowed him out of the crate all night. Our bedroom is right off of the kitchen so we're close but no dogs in our room at all. My husband's allergies are terrible and it's a wonder I can have a dog in the house at all.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Rosa
One of my gsd is potty trained and the other is just about there, they both have seperate dog beds they sleep on even though usually when i come in in the morning their asleep in the same one! but they can be perfect trusted to stay in the kitchen all night themselfs alone and one of them is big enough to reach counter tops and tables but doesn't as he knows he isn't allowed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzkatris View Post
I plan on crate training my new puppy for at least the first several months. I am wondering the following though:

-Do you leave your adult GSD crated or is it trust worthy loose in the house while you are away?

-With two people, a cat and 3 Iggies already in bed, we don't want to add another 70 lbs dog to the mix. Who encourages their GSD to sleep on a dog bed at night? Does anyone have a small dog in bed and a GSD on the floor without problems?

Thank you!
It took Nikon a while to potty train. He had a lot of accidents (and I let him out every 5-10 minutes while he was awake). When he was about 4 months it was like a lightbulb went off and he just stopped having accidents. I didn't really pressure him or stress over it.

Right now I leave all my dogs (2 GSDs and 1 mutt) loose while I'm away. Nikon turned 2 while I was on vacation and when we got back, I never setup my crates. I used to have 2-3 large crates in the den, 1 crate on the porch, and 1 large crate in the bedroom and now I just have a babygate so the dogs have the large den/living room area and the back porch (enclosed) while we are out.

Nikon used to be crated in the bedroom but now he sleeps on the bed or the floor. I have a dog bed for each dog. Kenya *only* sleeps on her bed. Coke and Nikon sort of take turns with the other two beds or sleeping on our bed. If Nikon is not on our bed, usually he sleeps on the dog bed where his crate used to be.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 04:55 PM
Crowned Member

I think it took about 6-8 weeks before I could relax, but I still took Niko out all the time because I really didn't want a half-housebroken puppy! The last accident he had was a someone else's house when he was about 5 months old. I think he just goofed because it was somebody else's house and he wasn't sure of the rules there versus our house.

-Do you leave your adult GSD crated or is it trust worthy loose in the house while you are away

I don't trust Niko alone in the house because he will chase the cats. I'd also never let Niko and Rosa out together alone in the house for the same reason. However, I have allowed Rosa to be in the house alone for about an hour and a half. She was fine and was a perfect angel. But I was nervous about doing it, and probably wouldn't stretch it past that amount of time.

Can't answer this one, both dogs are crated at night.

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Crowned Member

Hondo potty trained quickly, less than a month and I could trust him. However, being a puppy you still watch them like a eagle, therefore you catch when they start getting that wandering look about them.

As I have tons of full windows in my house, I'm a little worried about letting him loose in the house while I'm away. If a (CAT) should come up and sit on the window sill, I'd worry that he jump on the window and someone is going to get hurt.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM

Kaylee was probably ten weeks old when she was reliably giving me signals of needing to go out, although of course she still went out very frequently.

She is crated during the workday or on the weekends if we leave during the day without her. She hasn't destroyed anything since she was probably five months old, but we have an elderly small dog and three cats. At night she sleeps loose in the downstairs, with a gate to keep her from roaming upstairs. She sleeps on the couch or on the hardwood floor, although her crate and its bed is available to her.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Crowned Member

My dogs were potty trained quickly, but still were crated at night because they like to get up in the middle of the night to play. Waking up at 3am every morning gets tiresome.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Crowned Member

I would say it took about a month. He had a total of 6 accidents in the house (ever) and they were all our fault for not getting him out in time. He was very settle about his "signs" for needing to go out. He's almost 6 months old and has not had an accident in the house since the end of June. Just take your little one out rain, snow, shine, day or night and he will catch on fast!

Mine's 6 months old and not trustworthy outside of his crate without supervision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page