schutzhund trainging or pet trainging? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

schutzhund trainging or pet trainging?

i was very excited when i got a GSD because every lab i have ever owned barks but they dont have the same drive GSD's have, so im not sure if i should go forward with schutzhund? im very interested in the tracking portion of it all and the protection too. but i dont want my baby to be a robot i want him to be my giant love bug still.. he starts petsmart trainging in a week, (whitch i know the course by heart and have already started him on almost everything,) but i like him to be scocialized. what is everyones thoughts on shutzhund? I have friends that do it and love it. so Im confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Crowned Member

What is there about SchH training that makes you think it will turn your dog into a robot? The training you will get there is by far superior to the training you would get at PetSmart.

Go and get your dog evaluated and see if you would actually like it. That's the only way to decide if it's for you or not.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Elite Member

Raising a pup for SchH requires a different approach, and PetsMart obedience would be a less than ideal way to start.

If you're serious about SchH, find a local club now and start investigating the training. Folks at a local club should be able to evaluate the pup, and offer guidance on raising a dog for SchH. Until then, I would hold-off on any obedience, and focus simply on socialization, exploring new places, and building the puppy's confidence under your immediate supervision...ensuring only good/positive experiences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

yeah im going to take him and have them look at him. Im not sure whu i think he would be a robot.. I just dont want him to be serious all the time. my neighbors had a rottie that did it and he went from fun dog to all buissness. and i e-mailed a group not far from me and they recomend i do not do the petsmart training and schutzhund at the same time that theyare different methods. and ive already started him on a clicker. i think i might just try to teach him tracking on my own. i just would like to have him know the protection part but they said its a sport and he would have to participate in all three parts of the program.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Elite Member

I would suggest to you that SchH isn't as much a type of training as it is a lifestyle. The level of commitment required is significant in time and money. I also think there are no finer GSDs than those accomplished as working dogs regardless if that is herding, schutzhund, agility or whatever. A GSD with a job never becomes a robot if well trained.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 11:43 AM

Initially I was concerned about Schutzhund training also (years back) because I thought it was a little too hard core for my taste and especially on a dog. The key in my case was lack of knowledge about the training. I was always open to learning more and went to my local club and watched for several weeks. I was totally impressed. It's not about making the dog a robot at all like you can see some trainers turn their dog into. There's obedience and then stupid trainers who want to impress people and go overboard. Schutzhund training is nothing like that.
It takes the strengths of the breed of the dog and fine tunes them so the dog harnesses what the breed was historically used for. The dogs are completely themselves, they just follow directions.... AWESOMELY and they absolutely LOVE performing. The dogs that I've seen, perform on the field or where they are required to, but off-field they are still the big furry love bugs you're looking for. It doesn't change who they are, their personality, just their skills.

I would recommend finding a trainer or a club where you live and contact them and see if you can go watch some of their training and ask questions. People are always very willing to share their knowledge, just be open to listen. I plan on beginning this type of training very soon also. I hope this helps

Ginger

Speak softly and own a big, mean German Shepherd.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mssandslinger View Post
i just would like to have him know the protection part but they said its a sport and he would have to participate in all three parts of the program.
I completely agree with this. Also on the robot thing: my pup has been going to the club since he was 8 weeks old and robot is the last word people would use to describe him!
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

thanks guys that helped a lot! I do want to get him evaluated, the only problem is distance, the closest clubs my e that i found are about an hour away :/ i will continue my search!
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Knighted Member

An hour away is actually pretty good. Most people I know here and elsewhere have longer drives than that.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post
I would suggest to you that SchH isn't as much a type of training as it is a lifestyle. The level of commitment required is significant in time and money. I also think there are no finer GSDs than those accomplished as working dogs regardless if that is herding, schutzhund, agility or whatever. A GSD with a job never becomes a robot if well trained.
I agree with Wayne. If you are serious about doing Schutzhund with your dog, it influences everything about how your dog is trained and raised. I still do "pet" dog training and puppy classes with my dogs, but I understand my dogs and have my own Schutzhund "program" for each one, so I know when to bow out of a certain exercise at puppy class. Plus I have a great all-breed pet type trainer that understands and respects my commitment to Schutzhund. She doesn't mind if I do things a little differently than the rest of the puppy class or sit out an exercise because it conflicts with what I'm trying to teach my dog. The "pet" thing and Schutzhund thing aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but you have to understand your dog and your Schutzhund program otherwise there will probably be conflicts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page