Training Sessions? -- - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Training Sessions? --

I'm just curious what other people's training sessions/schedules are like --

How many days a week (or times a day) do you have training sessions with your dog?
And how do you switch things up to keep it entertaining for yourself and your dog?

Minna gets distracted and bored sometimes; we're working on distance and duration though. And I try to keep it entertaining for her.

And does anyone have suggestions on working with an older dog, he knows his commands (sit, stay, lay down, come, etc etc), but his focus SUCKS. I'm thinking chicken may help, but I would like some advice on how to work on his focus and his obedience.

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Mutt - 06/15/2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- GSD - 04/26/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Elite Member

With my last dog, we did training sessions everyday, twice for ten minutes. I did it before breakfast and dinner and after walks.

I think I kept her interested by switching up the treats. I'd mix up the treats and sometimes she'd get pizza flavor and sometimes she'd get beef flavor.

I also switch up the order of commands and how the commands were given. What I mean by how the commands were given was sometimes I'd just use my hands and then sometimes I'd just use my voice. This was after she had mastered or almost mastered the trick(s).

She had learned:
Sit
Stay
Down
Come/Recall
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 AM
Crowned Member

We're in class once a week for an hour, then most days we have a 20-30 min session. When we're not in a class I have to confess it's not as long or focused, more like 10 mins twice a day when we're out playing or on a 'field trip' like to my office, the pet store, vet's office, etc. I also change up the treats, sometimes don't give a treat, sometimes a clicker session. When it was so hot this summer I taught some tricks, that was fun for both of us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:51 AM
Knighted Member

Group obedience class 1x a week. I've been making her down for almost everything because she does it in slow motion. Mon-Fri I started doing livingroom commands with Lakota again, about 15 minutes. I switch up the order, to keep her guessing what Im going to ask for box, sit, stand, down, touch, get ready (heel position). Then we've been going for our group, 3 dog fun walk, loose lead, we do a sit/stay on the road. Today a pick up passed us and she stayed, unfortuneately when the pick up came back from around the corner, she broke the stay, big dogs didn't. When we get back to the yard I wait till they are away from me and do a recall.
Today I had some cookies in my pocket when I came out of the house, while we were walking out to the barn, she smelled them and kept a perfect heel position to the barn.
At night I'm pretty wiped out so I don't do much. I keep telling myself I do what I can.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

Okay, that's about what I do. I'll do one training session in the morning before or after our morning walk (and a couple during the walk to work on sit-stay and lay down- stay; when cars pass and people pass).
And then I'll typically do another one in the afternoon sometime.
Plus puppy class on Friday's for one hour -- but she gets bored in these...hoping she won't tonight. She's been really excited to do training this whole past week, and she's doing really well.

I need to up Sobacca's training.
He does great out front and anytime he's on his lead. But yesterday at the dog park we were going to leave and he didn't want to come to me. Minna came and I rinsed her off and put her in the car and left him in the dog park (since nobody was there I could do this -- plus I could see him from my car) and then I went back to get him. And he wouldn't come to me. So I ended up walking in the park and sitting down and completely ignoring him, took about 30 seconds for him to then come to me. So I leashed him and we left -- frustrated the **** out of me, but I kept calm and just told him good dog. He's been extremely stubborn and frustrating since I got Minna....any suggestions would be great! I'm thinking about maybe doing an adult obedience class with him just to work on his obedience skills -- maybe eventually have both dogs with their CGC..but I don't know, we'll see.

- Mutt - 06/15/2006

- GSD - 04/26/2010
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM
Crowned Member

The best advice I ever got to help with focus was to do the Relaxation Protocol with our dogs. It really is a fun exercise.

Protocol for relaxation
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

^Thanks!
I'll try that with him. I've also got a new strategy to work on a new recall with him. Woo.

- Mutt - 06/15/2006

- GSD - 04/26/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page