What makes you train a certain way? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Question What makes you train a certain way?

I had no idea where to put this...

Do you think people train their gsd puppies based more on how the puppy acts, or do they base their training on where the dog came from?

To explain, if your puppies pedigree is mostly Schutzhund based would you treat it any differently than a puppy who came from a line that was mostly conformation or other sports. (agility, flyball etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Knighted Member

We train Molly with the use of a flirt pole its what works best for her. Once the flirt pole comes out of the closet she goes crazy and we know we have her attention and focus 100%. The flirt pole works ten time better then the use of treats. At the same time she get tonnes of exercises and fun!!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Crowned Member

I train my pup according to the goals I have for him, not what his past pedigree info showed.
I chose the breeder/breeding on the parents genetics and the titles. I wanted a dog to start in Schh~ many of his littermates are competing in agility, SAR and obedience.
As long as the pup comes from good lines, it doesn't matter what venue you train them in, they should excel with the right training!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteshepherds View Post
I had no idea where to put this...

Do you think people train their gsd puppies based more on how the puppy acts, or do they base their training on where the dog came from?

To explain, if your puppies pedigree is mostly Schutzhund based would you treat it any differently than a puppy who came from a line that was mostly conformation or other sports. (agility, flyball etc.)
By way of clarification, are you asking what style of training people use, as in all positive, compulsion, etc.? Or are you asking about what you train the dog to do?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Crowned Member

If I interpreted your question correctly, I'd say that I train to what I want the dog to be, in my case- obedient! I have been able to assess what the pup's strengths' are, for instance, Stosh seems to be a natural tracker, Uschi is much more into movement so something like herding or agility would best utilize her talents. So I guess I tailor the training to the specific dog's abilities. The first night of obedience school for Stosh [when he was 4 mos], he laid on the ground, stretched out and went to sleep...so do I see agility in his future, probably not. But he did get a CGC at 5 mos, he's so easy to handle. Would Uschi be a good therapy dog? Not on your life, you'd need therapy after a visit from her! I agree with onyx' girl that all are capable of the basics you just have to assess their strenghts
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 PM

I train my puppies based on what I hope them to be, and what works best for them.

If I bought a pup from mostly SchH working lines with the expectation that I wanted to compete with the puppy...then I would encourage certain natural behaviors and discourage others. But I would also look at that pup's personality to help me set my priority for behaviors and the reward system. Lack of focus? Work on channeling the energy. Has a hard time controlling himself? Impulse control. Food driven? We'll work with that then. Prefers the ball? We'll go with that.

Bought a dog from conformation lines and want to head to the show ring?? Teach that dog to stack!

Bought a dog and want it to be a pet? What do I want in behaviors from my pet...and what does the puppy like to motivate it to do what I want? Although I have to say...if I bought a high energy puppy I need to be high energy too or be prepared to alter my life a little so it can function.

Although I will add that there are people out there who train the papers. "I HAVE a SchH line dog! That means I have to train like SchH people!" And there are different training mentalities in the different camps. Most AMline people are not going to have to train like the SchH folks. Goals are different.

But- Reality check. Real trainers will tell you that you train the dog, not the pedigree.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Master Member

I train my dog on how best they learn. Minna is extremely food-motivated so it's fairly easy to get her attention; however she's also toy motivated and loves fetch so I can use that to my advantage.
Sobacca is motivated when he feels like being motivated. If I pull out a good treat or a raw bone he'll listen in two seconds; HOWEVER most of the time he couldn't care less. Especially outside when there's something worth chasing, his ears conveniently shut off.

But.....as I said, training depends on the dog's personality. Some dogs aren't motivated by certain things, while others are motivated by those things......don't care about the pedigree they came from so much; although if you want to train for a specific sport or specific reason then I agree that you have to train the dog a little differently.

- Mutt - 06/15/2006

- GSD - 04/26/2010
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Crowned Member

I use positive methods with all my dogs, but not the same method for each. What worked for my high drive Malinois did not work for laid back Balto. Boaz is learning by mind reading, LOL! He's scary smart!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 07:06 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VChurch View Post
I train my dog on how best they learn. Minna is extremely food-motivated so it's fairly easy to get her attention; however she's also toy motivated and loves fetch so I can use that to my advantage.
Sobacca is motivated when he feels like being motivated. If I pull out a good treat or a raw bone he'll listen in two seconds; HOWEVER most of the time he couldn't care less. Especially outside when there's something worth chasing, his ears conveniently shut off.

But.....as I said, training depends on the dog's personality. Some dogs aren't motivated by certain things, while others are motivated by those things......don't care about the pedigree they came from so much; although if you want to train for a specific sport or specific reason then I agree that you have to train the dog a little differently.

Think I worded sobacca's lack of listening wrong. it's not that he doesn't listen, he does about 85% of the time -- regardless of treats. But on learning new things, he's very picky about his motivation.

- Mutt - 06/15/2006

- GSD - 04/26/2010
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I train my pup according to the goals I have for him, not what his past pedigree info showed.
Same.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page