Puppy Help! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Puppy Help!

Okay, this may be confusing since I'm typing as I think. If it is, I apologize.

I have a 7 week (going on 8) old male GSD named Kayne. Currently, all we are really focusing on is the basics such as crate training and potty training. On top of that, I'm using a clicker to get him to make and hold eye contact when I say his name.

The issue is, he has figured it out the training. When I do it the first time he'll look around for a bit, and when he makes eye contact and I click/treat. After that first time, he just sits there and holds eye contact. If I don't click/treat and divert his attention instead, he won't do it again or it will take him forever. I'm being very patient, but we have made very little-if any-progress the last few days.

My question is: Should I just keep clicking the delayed eye contact in hopes that it will get faster, or what do I do when he doesn't make eye contact?

I'm worried that clicking the slow eye contact will make him think that he can go about his business for a minute before responding. I'm also worried that when he doesn't respond and I say his name again, that it will teach him that he doesn't always have to listen to me.

Also, how could I go about making training more fun for him? When he does something right, I act super excited and pet him and offer to tug, but he seems like all he wants to do is maintain eye contact even though I haven't said his name for that next treat!

Note: This is my first GSD puppy, and I've read quite a bit about clicker training, but reading and doing is completely different. Also, we keep training sessions to under 5 minutes and 2-3 times a day. I'll also randomly be playing with him and throw in one or two commands with a click/treat.

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN OFFER!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 01:19 AM
Crowned Member

This is a baby and you are expecting WAY too much from him right now. Remember he has the attention span of a knat and can barely focus much beyond his nose. I am all for early training, but you have got to keep it age appropriate. At this point, I would be doing focus work on my knees in front of him so he can see me better and be happy just to get him to look at me for a second before treating him. Do not worry about speed right now, that will come with age.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:13 AM Thread Starter

Thank you very much! I know he is still an infant, I guess I just didn't know what to fully expect. We will keep it easy and simple for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 02:29 AM
Crowned Member

as i know absolutely nothing about clicker training (dont understand it and dont have the patience or desire to carry around a clicker) i will simply wish you the best of luck in your training!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Haha, thank you!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Knighted Member

You can also try to change positions after each time he looks at you and you click treat. Then walk a few feet in another direction because he will naturally look to where you are going speeding up the look without him knowing it. Just keep moving and keep it fun- he's a baby but he'll get it
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:31 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I agree you have a puppy, so being patient is key.

But you need to be adding excitement and fun and WAY WAY WAY WAY more and faster successes when you start clicker training. Fast, fun, motivating. Tons of clicks and treats fairly fast when you start.

Otherwise with all of our puppies with such short attention spans you'll lose their focus and ANYTHING is more fun than just sitting and waiting (and thinking?). Way more fun and fast.

is a good reference for the teaching. But more important is to watch this trainer. She has a clicker and treats and though you can't hear the click, watch how FREQUENTLY the treats are coming after she's clicking what she wants by shapinging and luring and being on the ground to help.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page