Enrolling in classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

Enrolling in classes

Well, I've decided to enroll Rocky in group classes to help him socialize and get over his reactiveness to other dogs. I called Petsmarts today and I take him in on Saturday to be evaluated, make sure he can handle the classes. I pray he can. They said they can do private training to get him to the point that he can be in with the group. He walks well on a leash, acts right in the house, it's just his recall and barking at other dogs we need help with. He's such a great dog, I just want him to be happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 PM
Crowned Member

Do you have any other places to train than Petsmart???? I wouldn't go there with a reactive dog, look at this thread. I know all PS are different, but I'd not want to take chances with a reactive dog on a trainer that may not be versed in how to deal with it.
If you put your general location in your profile, some on the board may have suggestions of better trainers in your area.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. When I talked to the lady trainer, she appeared to know what she was talking about, but who knows. I suppose like any other place, they just want enrollment. I had not heard bad things about petsmarts before. I will check out other places!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Crowned Member

See if there's an obedience training club in your area or maybe even a gsd club. The obedience clubs usually are cheaper since they're not for profit and have a variety of experienced trainers and handlers
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:57 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgshepherd View Post
Thanks for the information. When I talked to the lady trainer, she appeared to know what she was talking about, but who knows. I suppose like any other place, they just want enrollment. I had not heard bad things about petsmarts before. I will check out other places!!
Petsmart isn't so much 'bad' as very generalized and limited.

If you are able to find good classes/clubs in your area they usually have alot more background and experience to help now and keep you learning in the future!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page