How to clicker train? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

How to clicker train?

I want to clicker train my new pup. I think using a clicker is a great idea. Although I never used one with Smokey and he learned great. I think using it with the new pup will be easier so they don't get confused. The sound is consistent and you control when to click it and they seem to understand it really well. My boyfriend don't want to use it, because he says they will get used to the click and treat and not do what you say unless you click 1st. I don't believe that, but my question is how do I go about clicker training and what are some tips and tricks you guys know to using them? I understand the click and then treat, so the dog sees the click as a good thing and he knows a treat is coming. Tell me how you clicker trained your dog. Are there any really good videos that tell how to?

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:00 PM

I like Peggy Tilmans Clicking with your Dog, easy read, with tons of 'how to's' very easily explained.

Hey you can practice on Smokey, it's never to late to teach an old dog new tricks

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I like Tab289

YouTube - tab289's Channel

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I have watched most all his videos, but I didn't see one where he explained clickers all out extensively. Is peggy a book or online? I am not sure Smokey would much care for a clicker.

R.I.P- Smokey my GSD/Husky. You are my hero, my heart, my soul and you will forever remain in my heart. You were a true companion. I love You and miss You so much. Run like the wind!!

Chief-GSD
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Crowned Member

Karen Pryor has a great site, lots of info.

Karen Pryor Clickertraining
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Dogs "care" for the clicker because you teach them that "click = treat."

When you start with clicker training, you load the clicker. All this means is teaching the dog that every time they hear a click, a treat is on the way. You do this by repeating click-treat, click-treat until the dog starts to look for the treat after hearing the click.

After the dog begins to associate the click with a treat, you use the clicker to mark the desired behavior. If you tell the dog to sit, you click as soon as his little rear end hits the floor, then provide the treat. That is all the clicker is used for...to mark the desired behavior.

At least in my understanding, and I admit to being a novice dog trainer.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I do know the concept of the clicker. I could try it with Smokey.

Chief-GSD
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
After the dog begins to associate the click with a treat, you use the clicker to mark the desired behavior. If you tell the dog to sit, you click as soon as his little rear end hits the floor, then provide the treat. That is all the clicker is used for...to mark the desired behavior.
It's also used to capture behaviors, which means the dog offers a behavior before you teach it . You "capture" that behavior with a click/treat.

Here's a good example of capturing a behavior. Note what she says at the very beginning of the video.

Last edited by Whiteshepherds; 09-09-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Added link
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

That video was extremely helpful thank you!!

Chief-GSD
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 03:05 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here's a video that shows the technique of shaping:

This is a clicker-savvy dog who already gets the concept of trying things to see what works to earn a click/treat, so the training moves very quickly. The video is unedited and shows her learning to retrieve an object she's never seen before and bring it to her owner in just over 3 minutes.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page