Adult dog in group classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Adult dog in group classes

Have any of you ever put your adult dogs in a group class? My dog needs controlled exposure and socializing. I've been training my new-to-me dog, Rocky, at home since July 29th. He is doing ok, making improvements, but he needs help in the 'behaving around other dogs' area. I had a trainer come to the house and train us to train Rocky. I thought it would be better since he was new to us, and it was more calm here at home. Anyway, I'm now considering putting him in a group type of class to get him used to other dogs. He is about three years old. He came from a foster home which had lots of other GSD'swith whom he played. I want him to have exposure to other dogs so he'll get over his freaking out around them. The dog park is no bueno because he gets so incredibly worked up, he starts barking and won't stop, and even gets frothy saliva. Although I explain to folks that he is new and just learning, they don't take kindly to him acting up and chasing their dogs when they run. I don't blame them. Any opinions / advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

I didn't take my first dog to classes until she was about 3 yrs old and it was just fine. Had fun and learned alot.

What I would do is have a private consultation with whatever trainer/classes you decide on to explain your concerns and the history of your dog so they will know what to expect and give you help prior to class.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

Absolutely. I adopted Cash when he was a year and a half old and we did several group classes. I always recommend to people who adopt my fosters that they enroll their newly adopted dog into a group class. It's a great way to socialize and bond with your new dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Banned

i used the dog park as a training tool.
i use to train in he parking lot. my dog couldn't always see the other dogs but he knew they were there. after training in the parking lot
i moved closer to the enclosed area. after training near the enclosed area
i trained along the fence. after training along the fence we went inside.
when i was in the the enclosed area i trained for 2 or 3 minutes.
i gradually trained longer in the enclosed area.

you could train and socialize in front of a Pet Store.
train and socialize everyday, several times a day.
invite people to visit your home. invite people to visit
with their dogs. start a play group at your house.
find your dog a buddy that you can train and socialize around.

good luck with the new dog.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member

Lots of adults in our dog classes! Last night was the first night of advanced obedience and there's an 8 yr old Lab, Stosh who's 8 mos and a mutt who's 2 yrs.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Master Member

I like group classes. Teaches them how to behave with distractions.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:31 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Excellent way to work with your dog on his reactivity! I started with my adoptee mixed-breed when she was about a 1 1/2 years old. I struggled for six months with her before deciding to do classes - she was hyper-focused on other dogs to the point that I could not do anything with her when other dogs were around (like even, down the street), and she had no concept of someone else other than her being in charge, LOL.

Classes did wonders for her, even with the distraction of a room-full of other dogs. It was like a Helen Keller moment with water running over her hands, and realizing that things have names. It was like someone reached into my dog's brain and flipped a switch and the light went on! We both enjoyed the classes so much, we continued on with more advanced training, and it did wonders for my relationship with my dog.

So YES!!! Take him to classes, you will both love it!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Crowned Member

I would not allow him to run after and chase other dogs. The whole dog-park scene may not be in the cards for this dog. But, if you do take him to classes where he and the other dogs are under control, he will learn how to behave around dogs that are under control, and taking him to the vet or even to a dog show will be possible without his reacting like a nut. Getting a CGC on him should be possible. Doing an performance event like obedience, schutzhund, tracking, and any number of other things should be possible as well.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the good advice / encouragement. It means a lot to me to know it isn't hopeless! What is a CGC?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:12 AM
Crowned Member

Canine Good Citizen test. Ten tests that try to show that the dog has been trained and socialized. One test is walking through a crowd. Another test is approaching another dog and handler team, exchanging greetings, and moving on -- dogs are on the outside of each person so they would have to cut across the people to eat each other, they cannot pass the test if they do this.

Canada has a Canine Good Neighbor test.

Heidi Ho
Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page