Started clicker training today (loose leash walking) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Started clicker training today (loose leash walking)

I just wanted to share my experience with everyone

So I was at PetSmart today and ran into one of the trainers who chats it up with us everytime we come in. She had her GORGEOUS bi-color GSD in with her today, and I was very impressed. Anyway, she uses a clicker with him, and it's something that I'd been thinking about for a while - just never got around to it. Today, I got one. And I spent an hour after we got home using it with Jaz's training. It was fantastic! His focus seems so much better! I hope it lasts.

My biggest thing was working on that gosh-darn pulling! He's a year old and I've tried everything that's been suggested from choke chains, pinch collars, corrections, a correction with a leg, pulling him back behind me, stoping, walking in the opposite direction - all with minimal results. Today I combined click/treat with walking in the opposite direction and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! I don't remember the last time I've been able to walk Jaz without my hand aching afterwards or me getting frustrated and just heading home. I am so glad I finally tried this and I really hope for good, lasting results.

Jaz - GSD 9/11/2009
Tarja - GSD 7/10/2010

Koda - Maine Coon ~ 2004
Aunika - DMH ~ 4/23/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Master Member

Cool, never thought of pairing clicking and walking the other way.. makes sense though, the dog learns how great it is to know where you are and catch up to you.

Proud papa of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. RIP Dana.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page