Training treats - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Training treats

I'm looking for a training treat that's not to expensive that won't give Shasta the runs when used in large large quantities. She seems to have a rather delicate tummy. I use her kibble at home, but if there are going to be any distractions, the kibble just isn't interesting enough. I've tried cheese, chicken jerky, some kind of dog biscuits and hot dogs. She loves then all but...the runs.

I'd prefer something that doesn't leave a greasy residue on my fingers.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Crowned Member

wellness pure rewards? natural balance rolls?

I use cheese, diced chicken, hot dogs but we don't have issues with poop...

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Thanks for the suggestions. I've never heard of those. Will they have them at PetSmart?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

My local Petsmart just started selling wellness products but they don't carry the natural balance rolls. Petco carries both though.

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

I use cheese sticks and cubes of cooked chicken- that shouldn't bother her tummy too much. My beagle loved those little oyster crackers- cheap and easy to use. I've also used grapes and diced apples but that might not work for Shasta. I've seen trainers use BilJac, it's kind of like playdoh and has lots of salt but dogs seem to love it.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM
Elite Member

My new favorite is Zukes. Their Mini Naturals are great for training, they are really small chewy pieces. The Mini Bakes are a small crunchy treat that can be broken in half. They also make training squares, I forget what they are called. I like to use them for agility when he is doing quick grabs because they are a little bit bigger and save the fingers a little.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
I use cheese sticks and cubes of cooked chicken- that shouldn't bother her tummy too much. My beagle loved those little oyster crackers- cheap and easy to use. I've also used grapes and diced apples but that might not work for Shasta. I've seen trainers use BilJac, it's kind of like playdoh and has lots of salt but dogs seem to love it.
Grapes are not good for dogs. Might want to do some reading or ask your vet before using those again.

Amy
Bison (Indo vom Triton) CGC
Grizzly vom Buchonia
RIP- Bear*Gator*Moose

- God/Dog Blog
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Master Member

i use these liver treat sold at pets mart in a red purple bag, sorry i forgot the name...but they work great!!

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
Knighted Member

Natural balance rolls cut in to tiny pieces, you can order a big chub on Amazon and cut into small chunks and freeze and then cut tiny pieces, I usually cut up enough for the week and store in big freezer bag in thr fridge...no greasy fingers, no runs....

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Crowned Member

I use natural balance rolls, string cheese, or block cheese cut small-pea size, mix them together in the baggie.
Keeps the interest and the dog isn't distracted by crunching or chewing some of the other treats I've tried.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page