post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"He's Retarded"

From Sit/Stay post by trainer Darcie.
“He’s retarded.” | The Dish by Darcie

Posted on August 26, 2010 by Darcie
“He’s retarded,” she said.

“He doesn’t look retarded,” I replied.”He just looks like a normal dog.”

“The vet diagnosed him as retarded,” she told me. “Lay down,” she said to the dog. The dog went to the floor doing as she asked, then he got back up again.

“What do you mean he’s retarded? What does that mean?” I’ve never heard of a dog being diagnosed as retarded. She motioned him to lay down again and again he did what she asked, then he got back up.

“He was slow to learn, I had to work so hard with him to get him to do even the simple stuff. I finally took him to the vet. The vet said he’s retarded.”

The dog came over to me. I didn’t reach out, she was still trying to work with him and I didn’t want to interfere. She motioned with her fingers for him to sit, she said “sit” and he did. Then he got up again.

“See?” she said. “He’s retarded.”

“What is it that you couldn’t get him to do?” I smiled at the dog and he wagged his tail at me.

“It took me a long time to get him to sit, lay down, and come. He still doesn’t stay when I tell him to. It was frustrating to try to train him and I’ve handled dogs.” She frowned just a little bit and looked at me again. As she talked, I found out that she’d been using traditional training methods with him.

“Can I play with him, see what I can get him to do?” I asked. I popped some roasted chicken from my salad into my mouth.

“Sure. Go ahead.” Good luck was written all over her face.

“Hey, little buddy.” I gave the dog a piece of chicken. I had his full attention immediately. I gave him another little piece. He sat in front of me and scooted closer. “Touch.” I held my hand out to him. His nose automatically touched my hand. Bite of chicken. “Touch.” I said it again and again his nose touched my hand. Another bite of chicken. “Touch,” I said a third time. He looked at my face, then at my hand. He leaned back slightly and a little to the side, his nose went up and he was looking up at the ceiling. Frozen in that position.

“See,” she said. “He’s retarded.”

“No. He’s just thinking,” I said. “Wait, he’ll come back and touch my hand with his nose. He’s deciding if he wants to work with me and working out exactly why he should. My guess is that he will.” I waited with my hand out, she and I talked a bit.

It did take this darling dog several minutes to have his aha moment and it came. He startled, looked at me and touched my hand with his nose. I laughed and gave him six pieces of chicken, one right after the other. I asked him to touch my hand again and he did it instantly. He laughed too and wagged his tail. Then we did some sits, downs, comes, and stays. He did them all perfectly, even the stays. He didn’t break once.

“Wow,” she said.

“He’s brilliant. He’s a brilliant dog. Look at that brilliant dog.” I smiled at her and rubbed the dog with both hands. “Sometimes it’s simply the match that we make. Some dogs don’t want to work with some people. I know you love him so you probably have to make some choices. You have to find a better way to communicate, positive training is so fast and easy, and hope that he will work with you, or give him up to someone who he will work with, or decide that good enough is good enough and love the relationship that you have now.”

She was a very nice woman and she really likes her dog. Sometimes we just don’t know until we know.

I didn’t even use a clicker. I may have blown her mind if I had. – Darcie

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Crowned Member

thanks for sharing

-Brandi

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
6-5-09

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:49 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Karma View Post
“The vet diagnosed him as retarded,” she told me.
For some reason this line cracks me up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Now that's a great story!! It's so true that some dogs don't work well with some people. It's all in the approach.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Crowned Member

I once had a dog that I think may have been, er, developmentally disabled. She could only play chase in a straight line.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoore View Post
I once had a dog that I think may have been, er, developmentally disabled. She could only play chase in a straight line.
LOL - I was starting to think that my lad came off the short bus too, when I thought back to how my past dogs were. When I threw or rolled a ball he'd sit with me and watch it bounce away. I soon discovered that he will chase and retrieve anything BUT a ball. He'll go after leaves, feathers, other toys, small dogs, cats, rats. At 5 months he even picked up a Bichon pup by the scruff and started to run off with it, but brought it back when I started running away from him. Yes, it's owner just about fainted! It's just balls he doesn't see the point in, for some reason. Maybe they're too predictable.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Master Member

hah! thats to funny my father says shilos an Rtard but i know shes just stuburn like owner like dog shes like her momma alright lol

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

i think it's more likely that most people
don't know how to work with dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd_lover View Post
Now that's a great story!! It's so true that some dogs don't work well with some people. It's all in the approach.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Cool!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Master Member

I have a developmentally challenged pomeranian. He was perfectly normal and learned quickly up until he developed epilepsy and had some pretty serious head trauma. After that he failed to learn anything. He is the most good natured dog ever though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page