Training help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

Training help

My GSD is 5.5 months old and one day will sit, stay and down stay without a problem. The past few days she has not been doing it at all as if im talking gibberish to her. Could this be because she is teething? Just being a stubborn puppy? Any info would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:17 PM
Elite Member

My pup is the exact same age and we went through this two weeks ago. We had just started basic obedience. The first class, Panzer did great and was even used to demonstrate. After that class, Panzer refused to train - he'd just lay down and not budge. An experienced GSD person showed me lure based training - much more fun, praise & treat based than the compulsion based training of our class. Panzer loved it.

Also, we had started out with the prong/pinch collar for our first class because that's what we had used on our previous Alaskan Husky. Panzer doesn't need that much aversion for correction. We switched to a nylon slip collar and now a martingale style and he's much more comfortable with that. He did great in training at home during the week (we've been combining the lure training with collar correction when needed) and in class last night.

And he lost several teeth this week - we found three of them. I would sure think this had an impact on him.

Try more treats, praise & keep an eye on those teeth.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Sage View Post
My GSD is 5.5 months old and one day will sit, stay and down stay without a problem. The past few days she has not been doing it at all as if im talking gibberish to her. Could this be because she is teething? Just being a stubborn puppy? Any info would be great
Not teething or stubborn, a normal puppy who is getting older and working things out. Why just 'sit' to sit when just about anything else in the world is more fun!

But if I 'sit' and get a piece of cheese.........hm, maybe it's worth sitting/down/stay/beg/whatever.

Training isn't about the behavior you see on not in your dog. Training should be about your ability to have your dog WANT to learn, WANT to listen, be hanging on your every word/action to figure out what the heck you are trying to teach. Figuring out how to get this drive and enthusiasm is what the BEST trainers work on. Food/toys were best for NEW learning behaviors while the boring 'praise' can be used later on mixed in with the food and toys.

Once you figure out WHAT your dog wants to 'work' for (and this can change over time ) then the BEHAVIORS you are asking for are so easy! Cause they want to listen. Want to obey. Want to learn and stick around to figure it out because the reward is worth it to them!

Dog classes really can help with this. Clicker training is a huge help for the younger pups (and us ) You see these dogs? https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...sd-videos.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:37 PM

I agree with MRL. Make sure the training sessions are positive and super fun for the dog. At this age I would also stay away from compulsion (I don't want to start a debate on training methods). Mainly, at that age you are still teaching the dog basic commands. You can't expect him to comply or worse punish him if he doesn't understnad what is being requested. Furthermore, dogs don't understand, they react, therefore its through repetition of a fun, positive act/treat they learn the action appropriate to the command. Of course results can be obtained in multiple ways, but I like to think of my dog obaying because he wants to, not because he has to.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

That's the same age I had to start using a prong collar and adding a clicker to our training. The prong gives instant results but it needs to be fitted properly and you should learn how to use it first. Even though both had been to puppy and obedience class I had a trainer come to the house and she used the clicker- they both enjoyed it and it made training a lot more fun for them. We added some tricks just to vary things up and it was a great fun way for them to learn and pay attention. Got to keep 'em guessing when they hit the 'butthead' phase!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok well its seems as if this is a normal "stage" for the puppy to go through. I use treats and tug for rewards. Like I said most days shes is all about doing the sit or down. Then some days she doesnt want to. I never punish her.... its just frustrating when one day its perfect and the next as if she never did it before. My GSD is from a working line and is going to be used as a Police K9 at my department. her drive is VERY high. Her bitework is incrediable, its just this obedience stage that she all the sudden doesnt want to listen if she doesnt feel like it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Crowned Member

You're right, she doesn't feel like it! When ours got to that stage, I started out by playing for a few minutes first and while we were excited and having fun, I'd say
'let's work' with a happy happy voice and they thought it was still fun. When I'd start to get frustrated I'd give them a big hug, rustle their fur and play again for a few minutes then quit. You can also quit a training session when she's doing really well so it always ends on a good note, or give her a command that you know she'll do. I know it's frustrating, we've all been there. Teething around this time can take its toll but it's a normal stage. Keep up the good work!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page