For anyone who knows our trouble with Bison! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

For anyone who knows our trouble with Bison!

Another update, I misunderstood For Paws Unleashed and the obedience class is a recommended trainer. Well, for $60, we bit the bullet and had him come to our place for an evaluation. We learned a few really important things. First, for a working dog breed, our method of discipline was NOT reaching him, so he taught us the proper method of discipline while on leash (we were more dragging more than jerking to correct, plus the next day we ordered the same lead the trainer had us use) which has fixed about 70% of his behavior issues while on walks. Second, our rewards were too excited and easy for him to attain. So now he is down to some eye contact and a calm, quiet, "good". That is all he gets until he has a vast improvement in his obedience. For now he in his adolesence at 7 months and is not liking the new way things are going, so we are dealing with a little bit of avoidance training. He gets more leash time now than ever which will eventually break him down and help him give up his "guard dog" responsibilities. Anyways, we will keep everyone on the forum updated on Bison's progress, and thanks for any further advice!

P.S. Bison's aggression, we determined, came from carrying him too much as a little pup so he developed bad separation anxiety and guard dog mentality. In just the 2 days since the trainer's evaluation Bison has come a long way. We hope to get him into obedience classes once a week as soon as can afford the cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 01:38 PM
Banned

Doesn't sound like a "guard dog" at 7 months. Seems a bit young for that.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1985 View Post
For now he in his adolesence at 7 months and is not liking the new way things are going, so we are dealing with a little bit of avoidance training. He gets more leash time now than ever which will eventually break him down and help him give up his "guard dog" responsibilities.
Is the training fun for him? Not sure why he's avoiding it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew1985 View Post
He gets more leash time now than ever which will eventually break him down and help him give up his "guard dog" responsibilities.
Sorry I don't know your pups story, I don't understand what you mean by "break him down". My girl is 7 months old now, she's in a stage now of what seems like she forgot some basics, part of this is my fault for slacking a bit over the summer. At 7 months they are really only babies. I don't expect her to be perfect right now, shes a work in progress. When we are out with the bicycle I may not always reward her with food treats, I will praise her and if she does something I ask quickly I do get excited & its like hitting a jackpot. Every dog is different.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Elite Member

Not sure what your specific problems are but just from this post I would guess that Bison's "aggression" is fear based and has made worse by using forceful, correction based techniques with him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page