2 Days and Already Lots of Progress! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Talking 2 Days and Already Lots of Progress!

I have had Rogue for 2 days now and I have already seen some progress!

1) When I met Rogue's old owner, I asked her what food he was eating, she said whatever was on sale and that he would eat anything She didn't bring me any of his old kibble (I asked) and she couldn't remember the last kibble he was on. He is now happily eating Blue Buffalo Blue Wilderness and he has had nothing but firm stool. He seems to be enjoying his yummy new kibble.

2) Rogue was absolutely terrified of car rides. He pulled on his leash and cried, he refused to get in. I had to get in the car and pull him in while his old owner shoved him in. He cried and drooled alot on that car ride home. Now I can walk him towards the car and he struggles just a little tiny bit and I reasure him with soft spoken words and lots of "good boy Rogue" and then I let him get in himself, as soon as he jumps in I praise him and treat him. It is alot less stressful on him and he is getting rewarded and because it went so smoothly, he doesn't drool as much and the crying doesn't happen as much. So getting him in the car is alot better now.

3) I guess at his old home he was allowed on the furniture, I do not allow that here. I have brand new tan couches that do not need dirty hairy dogs on them. So when he first got to my house he jumped up on my couch, I walked over to him grabbed his collar and gently guided him off the couch while softly saying "Down" now he knows the word and understands it and he rarely ever does it.

4) Rogue hated his crate. He did not want to go in, you couldn't even get him near it I started walking him over to his crate and stopped him in front of it and petted him and told him "good boy Rogue" and then once I got him to go in by himself he got lots of praise and he got treated. Now it is much easier to get him in his crate.

5) The one issue that scared me the most! Bedtime. His old owner kept him crated in the basement, she said he wouldn't stop barking, so she didn't have any other choice. I crate my boy Sin in my bedroom, I love it that way and I feel that is where they belong, by me, so Rogue needed to be in my room with us. So his first night with us, he screamed, cried and howled for 10 minutes. I spoke softly to him and had my hand touching him through his crate. After 10 minutes he was silent and he didn't make another peep the whole night. Last night he never cried, he went into his crate and didn't make a peep. I think he is much happier knowing I am in the same room with him.

So in all, Rogue is coming along greatly. I am training him to sit before I feed him and that he cannot touch it until I release him. I am training him to sit by the door and wait until I release him. I am re-introducing "sit" without having a treat handy because he doesn't do it the first couple of times you ask him to when he knows that you do not have anything.

He gets along great with Sinister, they act as though they have known each other forever. They act like they are littermates. They walk along side each other and lay by each other.

He gets along with the cats. They sniff each other and then they walk away. He shows no desire to chase them.

He has a protective side. He growled and watched one of my neighbors very closely last night. I do not like that neighbor, I think he is nothing but bad news and apparently Rogue agrees. I have noticed that Sinister seems to be a goofball, silly, overly friendly and doesn't take life seriously. Rogue is playful but he likes to watch, he is alot more serious, he is cautious and he has a "I dont take crap attitude." He is the boss between the 2 of them.

He is everything I could have asked for, he is sweet, friendly, playful, trainable, good with all of my animals and he is gorgeous. He is the perfect brother/friend/companion for Sinister. He is the perfect dog for my family, I couldn't have made a better decision.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM

Sounds great! Always good to see a happy owner and a happy dog!
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Knighted Member

Thankgoodness you rescued him from that breeder! Who feeds 'whatever is on sale'!
Sounds like you are working really well with him. The only thing I would offer is to change the command when on furniture (or anything else to 'off'). Down is a command to lay down so you don't want to confuse him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Crowned Member

Wait... how did I miss this?!

You got another dog???

Photo's???

Congrats!!!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

That is awesome! Great for you and for Rogue! Congratulations!

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM
Elite Member

Nice job! So glad the dogs love each other!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post

You got another dog???

Photo's???

Congrats!!!
+1 on the congrats and the picture!!
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post

You got another dog???

Photo's???

Congrats!!!
Thanks! I got him on Sunday and I already love him as though I've had him since he was a puppy He is a GSD/Husky mix. He is 6 days older than Sinister, they are both 1 1/2 year old.

Rogue

Rogue and Sinister

They were looking for sticks and making the same face haha

Tired after running

Brotherly love

Lauren

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Elite Member

Quote:

You got another dog???

Photo's???

Congrats!!!

-Kira

Fur Family:
Dakota "Koda" GSD 02/20/2008
Chloe Calico 9/21/2007

"The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too"
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDSunshine View Post
I was thinking the same thing!!!!
It happened quite fast.

I decided a little over a week ago that I wanted to rescue an adult dog instead of spending so much money on a puppy. I knew I wanted either a purebred GSD or a GSD mix. When I saw Rogue's picture and heard a little about him I knew I wanted him. So I got him the next day. He was free on Craigslist. He is a great dog and he is exactly what I was looking for.

Lauren

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page