People are making it Hard. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

People are making it Hard.

Everyone loves Ozzy because he's so cute and fluffy and cuddly and he's a little puppy. But I'm still training him like I would any other dog.

If he's chewing on my shoes or trying to bite my pant leg, I go, "AH-AH" and when he stops and looks at me, I give him a toy that he's allowed to chew on. When he jumps on me, I turn away from him. When he barks or whines for me, I ignore him. So far, it's going VERY well and he's doing awesome.

BUT - other people, on the other hand, don't do this. If he barks, they bark back. If he's chewing on them, they let him. If he jumps on them, they pet him. I ask them not to and tell them what I would like them to do, and they go, "Oh, no, it's okay."
....Nooo, it's NOT okay. It's not going to be okay when he's an adult. It's not okay now.

Sorry, I just had to vent. It's frustrating. I'm trying to discourage certain behaviors and others are encouraging them.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:20 PM

I had something similar happen at the dog park. Some people brought a young puppy (too young for the dog park! he couldn't have had all of his shots) and although he was adorable he just jumped up on everyone he met and they petted him! When he came up to me and my boyfriend and jumped on our legs we turned and ignored him- this is what we did with our dog of course and it really payed off since I don't want a 65lb dog with muddy paws jumping on me.

The owners said they didn't care if he jumped on them now and when he was older they'd just teach him not to by "kneeing" him! I was shocked and pretty disgusted. Why confuse your dog by teaching him jumping is the best way to get petted and then one day when you decide he is no longer cute start physically punishing him for the same exact thing?

I know dog parks are the worst of people but what are some people thinking?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Crowned Member

Know what you are going through. Good for you for teaching your dog manners, even if he's just going to be a little guy and not a big dog. Good luck on trying to get people to follow your rules!

I've never been able to make people stop letting Rosa jump up on them. When she does, everyone automatically grabs her and starts petting. I'm like, oh great, more reinforcing that behavior. Fun for you, but not so fun for me at 6 in the morning when I'm trying to get breakfast ready. Or when I'm trying to bring groceries in the house. Or that less than once in a blue moon when I actually dress nice and want to go somewhere...

Leah
Niko: American Showline GSD 5 years old
Rosa: American Muppet Dog (GSD/Border Collie mix) 5 years old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Master Member

people do that to shilo! ans shes full grown! she never jumps on us ever but some people pat their tummys for her to jump up! WTH?? it confuses me how people think thats alright,

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It just drives me nuts when I ask them to ignore him or turn away from him and they ignore ME and say, "No, he's fine." ARGH.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

I had the same problem with Uschi, she was such a friendly puppy and jumped a lot- so I'd take her on outings to the vet's office, pet stores, etc and when she jumped people would say, 'that's ok' because she was so cute. I actually had to put a sticky note on our front door saying dog in training, please don't let her jump, she must be sitting before you pet her. I have to say, everybody went along with it.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Crowned Member

I think there is nothing so nice as a well trained small dog! They are dogs after all. I know too many suffering from small dog syndrome and it is not pretty.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I think there is nothing so nice as a well trained small dog! They are dogs after all. I know too many suffering from small dog syndrome and it is not pretty.
One of my mom's friends asked me if I was going to carry him around in a purse. I was like, "Uh, NO. He's still a dog! Not an accessory!" The only time I carry him is when we're going from the car to inside and I don't want him walking on the pavement that's a million-and-ten degrees.

Ozzy - Chocolate Pom
-FDCh-G
-TF-III

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Master Member

yeah its sucks when they dont listen! small dogs are cute and when they jump its not like they hurt but its manners, and also wouldnt the dog be more out of contsol and hyper if they alow them to do that? its like they people dont have common sence. dogs are dogs no matter how big or small and should be treated all the same, if you dont want a 100 pound great dane to jump on you why would you want any other dog?

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM
vat
Knighted Member

I know what you mean. I was in the local pet store not long ago and this man's dog came running towards mine. I pulled mine away and he replied "oh its ok" and I replied, "no he is in training". I was trying to get him to behave around other dogs by not pitching a fit. Some people have no manners and then neither do their dogs. Its sad because then they dump them off at the shelter. I just saw a dog posted on petfinder near me that was dropped off because he licks their face to much! I mean give me a break!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page