How do I teach him how to play fetch? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

How do I teach him how to play fetch?

Hey guys, I am trying to teach my gsd to play fetch how did you guys do it? I took him to the dog park and all he wanted to do was sit there and listen to the birds. He wanted nothing to do with the toys but when we are at home he always wants me to throw the ball so he can catch it. What gives? I also live in a condo so I don't got a backyard to practice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:36 PM

Fetch

Use a hallway in your condo. Close all the doors and throw the ball down the hall. This gives the dog no other option but to bring the ball back to you. Try to find something that he enjoys to play with for him to bring back to you. To get him to drop the ball, just trade him a treat for the ball and speak a command. ("drop it" or whatever you want to use.) This has worked for me with multiple dogs.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:53 PM

It sounds like the dog is distracted at the park. Once you teach him inside, move outside but try to find an empty field with little distractions. Only once he is comfortable there, move to a place with additional distractions. You can slowly work up to the dog park. Also work on obediance and spend time on 'focus' excersises. Dogs have small brains and have a hard time focusing on multiple things. If he learns to focus on you and you spend time having fun with him in various places, he won't be distracted in any location. If he's still listening to birds, instead of playing, then you're not enough fun for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 04:55 PM

I just realised that last sentence might have sounded condescending. I'm sorry. Thats not how I meant it. When you are playing in a place with distractions, you have to act crazy, run around, whatever it takes to get the dog amped up and into your game. If he's into your antics and your games, he'll have a hard time noticing any other distractions.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Crowned Member

Two ball works too! Instead of trading for a treat, as soon as the dog releases the ball to you, you throw the other one.
Maybe your dog would enjoy a frisbee instead of a ball, change it up some to keep it interesting.

Sometimes the competition of another dog possibly getting the ball will ramp a dog up into retrieving.
I know my dogs will chase it down quick and whoever gets there first, wins.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Master Member

Ok, now that we have that info., how do you get him to bring it back. Wolf used to bring stuff back even when we were outside, now he will only bring it back if we are inside. And yes, we are working on the "come" command.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 PM

Working on the 'come' is the way to go. If that isn't established, it will be hard to play fetch if the dog is being distracted. You, again, would have to make sure that you are playing a game the dog is crazy about, run around, whatever it takes. You have to have the dog focus on you!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 05:37 PM

I find that backing away from or even runnign away from Zoey gets her to 'chase' me. Then I trade her a treat for the ball when she gets to me. That is if she remembered to bring the ball

Zoey vom Banach 2/2010
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearcreekranch View Post
Ok, now that we have that info., how do you get him to bring it back. Wolf used to bring stuff back even when we were outside, now he will only bring it back if we are inside. And yes, we are working on the "come" command.
That's also where the treats could come into the picture.. If he realizes that he's getting a bite to eat everytime he brings a ball to you AND drops it. He'll do pretty well....
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 AM
Master Member

Thanks, I have used the treats and I have also turned away, like I am going to leave and quit playing the game. He is very excited about his "outside" toys. Some of them, he will relinquish a lot more readily. The jolly ball is another story. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page