Ball crazy! :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Exclamation Ball crazy! :(

me and my dog go to a park and its like im not there when someone has a ball! we went to magnason and chucho went balistic! looking at every one who had a ball! and he would go after one then drop it in the middle! he wouldnt come to me or anything! hes ball crazy i tell you,, help!

Elios. 2 year old light liver GSD
Toast. Hedgehog
Gizmo. Blue point, kink tailed kitten .

"Money will buy you a pretty good dog, but it won't buy the wag of his tail.."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like your dog doesn't think you're fun enough. I would recommend working on his obediance and particularly his focus on you. Find a toy he really loves and play with him, working in obediance commands, especially 'watch me'. He'll eventually do anything to get back to that super fun game. For a quick fix, bring his favorite toy to the park and play with him there, or bring your own ball.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM
Crowned Member

Use it to your advantage! Use the ball as a training reward. Get him his very own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

haha, we bring a ball with and he still doesnt care, he doesnt focas on just mine or one persons ball, he goes to every one and jumps to different people, when we are home hes great! he gets it and brings it back and works for it and everything, but he just gets so unfocased on just one and even if i jump around or do something fun and different he doesnt care lol

Toast. Hedgehog

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:34 PM

I'd probably say move the excerises that are working in the house outside but go SLOW. Meaning, start in the yard, with very few distractions. If he is focusing on you, move on to a slow street somewhere, and work with him there. Keep going adding distractions until his focus is on you regardless of where you are. But go slow. Make sure he understands what is expected before you take him to a busy park.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

ok,, thats good advice thanks

Toast. Hedgehog

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

And keep him on a long line so he can not go bother the other people. If he does go to bother people they should turn their backs to him. You should be the only thing that is fun.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Banned

Like others seem to imply I think you just simply need to change your attitude and techniques. From what I understand people that look for working dogs often look for a dog with a strong “ball drive”; as that drive can be used to help train and work a dog. Try playing with your dog more to bond with your dog more. And you might want to try using ball as part of a reward and game and training aid.

Ball crazy is often a good thing; if you can tame, focus and harness that energy.

Last edited by DogGone; 08-19-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page