Advice re soft crate for the bedroom & car - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Smile Advice re soft crate for the bedroom & car

Hi All - i will soon be getting a puppy and will have to make a 3 hr drive with him/her in the car back home and in addition i would like to have a crate in my bedroom so the puppy is not lonely and i can hear should we need to outside in the middle of the night. i already purchased a large crate for my living room and i am puzzled want to purchase for travel and bedroom. i am thinking about a soft crate but i am unsure of the size.
thank you in advance for helping me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

For the price of a good soft crate, considering the puppy will quickly outgrow it, I would just buy a smaller solid plastic crate rather than a soft crate.

As far as soft crates go, I have a Guardian Gear and love it. But mine is almost 3 and doesn't chew on things. I would be worried about a puppy chewing its way out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Crowned Member

I would never trust a young dog to not scratch or chew their way out of a soft crate. I would only put a dog that is stable in the environment you want to contain it in and even then one scratch and they can get out~Especially if you are in a venue where the excitement level is high. I bought one a couple years ago, it has only been used a couple times at home with Kacie who is pretty laid back.
Maybe check out CL for a smaller plastic one for the bedroom then re-sell it when pup outgrows it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Elite Member

I have never used a soft-crate. To me, they don't seem very safe, especially in a car, and especially with a puppy. I use a hard plastic crate for in the van. I feel that it's safe should something happen. At home, we only use the large metal crates and each dog only has one. We have never kept a crate in the bedroom though. I agree with checking out craigslist for a previously used crate, you can get them pretty inexpensively. Good luck!

GSD's Chevy, Shya, & Leilah

R.I.P. Bear Bear (Chow) and sweet lil Kenji (GSD)

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 10:39 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Soft crates aren't really for use in the car. Really need it to be more solid to provide security for your dog in the case of an accident. Either a good crate or many of us use dog safety belts.

Also, most pups will quickly destroy a soft crate cause they can. So it's usually the older really 'crate trained' dogs that the soft crate are better for.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you to all of you for responding - i really appreciate it greatly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page