Clicker Training: From A to Z - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Clicker Training: From A to Z

Hello peeps,

After reading and watching and listening to a lot of people about how good the clicker training is, I went to the pet store and bought a clicker and some more treats to go along with it. As soon as I got home I started "charging" my clicker with Tiger. It worked in literally 2-3 minutes and he started anticipating treats after a click.

I did a total of three sessions today with clicker. First two, I clicked and gave a treat. But, in the third one, I waited a few seconds and then gave a treat as soon as he looked at me.

Question here is: Am I being to fast with the whole clicker and acquiring focus?

If not, then can I start using clicker to mark the already learned commands like sit, down, come, etc?

I am also looking for more information on how to use clicker to teach him something like "drop it" or "leave it" or "get it". Any experience sharing or pointing in the right direction is well appreciated.

Thank you

JP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:39 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I suggest you visit tab289's YouTube channel and spend some time watching his videos.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
I suggest you visit tab289's YouTube channel and spend some time watching his videos.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Thank you!

Just the answer I was looking for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JigPat View Post
Hello peeps,

After reading and watching and listening to a lot of people about how good the clicker training is, I went to the pet store and bought a clicker and some more treats to go along with it. As soon as I got home I started "charging" my clicker with Tiger. It worked in literally 2-3 minutes and he started anticipating treats after a click.

I did a total of three sessions today with clicker. First two, I clicked and gave a treat. But, in the third one, I waited a few seconds and then gave a treat as soon as he looked at me.

Question here is: Am I being to fast with the whole clicker and acquiring focus?

If not, then can I start using clicker to mark the already learned commands like sit, down, come, etc?

I am also looking for more information on how to use clicker to teach him something like "drop it" or "leave it" or "get it". Any experience sharing or pointing in the right direction is well appreciated.

Thank you

JP
It sounds like you're a bit confused. You should be clicking when he's doing exactly what you want (unless you're shaping, of course) not before he does it or after. That teaches nothing. And until he's very skilled at clicker training, you should be delivering the treat as quickly after the click as possible.

Check out kikopup on youtube as well. I love her videos.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page