Training mistakes we've made - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Training mistakes we've made

I'm curious to know what other people would say about mistakes they have made while training their dogs. Certainly we've all messed up and sometimes the results are funny, like how Rosa will play bow to me after she poops since when she was potty training I would make it a big party when she went outside properly. Cute, but not at bedtime when she needs to think about settling down.

One bad habit I cannot seem to break myself of is saying either of my dogs names in an angry tone of voice when they misbehave. Like "NIKO, off the couch!!!" I know you can wreck their name by doing that.

Anyone else care to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:06 PM

When my pup was little I used praise him for alerting and barking at our neighbors coming on our property. It was much tougher to brake that routine when the time came to bring our new born daughter home. Fun times.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Knighted Member

MISTAKES???? What are those? LOL!!!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Elite Member

we got our puppy in FEB. we got lazy for the 3 am, bone chlling cold potty break, and would let him go on the back porch (pee). needless to say, that was a mistake, and luckily we corrected our mistake (laziness) very quickly, so he know's that grass is the only acceptable potty place now

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 02:56 PM

The worst mistake I've made so far is not controlling my own temper while training. We were tracking and she wouldn't respond to my "leave it" about some junk in the grass, so I used a very angry tone. She shut down completely and lost interest in tracking for weeks. Still feel bad, but I fixed it by basically starting tracking training over again. We won't be ready for TD until winter now, but at least I learned a lesson and she recovered.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Crowned Member

My biggest mistake with Uschi was that I spent most of the time playing than training. I had lost our 12 yr old shepherd and finally got up the nerve to get a new puppy and was so in puppy love that I played too much- she soon saw me as a litter mate. Puppy class helped establish a training routine but I could have avoided a lot of biting, jumping, etc if I had done it from the start. But she was just so bloody cute!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Master Member

Not training separately. Mia can tandem train, but Bella can't...therefore Bella is WAY behind.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 PM

My biggest mistake was letting her totally bond to my older dog when she was little to the point where Dallas was her sole source of "play". I was so worried about Dallas liking the new pup that when they got along initially I didn't think about any issues down the road. It really hasn't been a huge problem and I am glad the 2 dogs get along but it became an issue with training her last winter in the house. She was so focused on what Dallas was doing that she would ignore me. When she got a little older I was able to take her to classes and give us one on one time and I would separate them during the day while I am gone so she could get used to being alone.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Knighted Member

Over the years there have been many "mistakes" the worst was when my husband & I got our 1st GSD, Cheyenne, about 17 years ago. We used a trainer whose methods where cruel. When Cheyenne growled at my husband for trying to take a bone, the trainer had us hang him by his neck. I'll never forgive myself for that, of course we never did that again after the trainer showed us.
Now all of my dogs allow me or my husband to take bones/toys out of thier mouth, never had to hang any of them.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 04:39 PM
Crowned Member

Yikes! I think your biggest mistake was not hanging that trainer!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page