Obedience Issue? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Obedience Issue?

My wife and I have a 1 yr old male. He is an excellent dog and listens fairly well with me. I have been working on him when it comes to SA and being able to stay calm under busier situations. He is good......with me.
My issue is that he does not listen to my wife whenever I am not home and he can become a nuisance. Since he is on a raw and kibble mixed diet, he grabbed a chicken breast right of the counter! WHOLE! He gets into the trash and whenever she says no, he barks at her. The odd thing is, whenever I am home, he is awesome always behaves. I cant correct something when I am not home. Do you suggest us training him and taking part in the daily activities together(I'm the one that takes care of the dogs) or just some doggie obedience for the two of them only?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 PM
Crowned Member

I say both are great ideas- definitely have your wife take him for a class if she's willing. It isn't unusual for a dog to prefer one person over the others, our female Uschi is devoted to my husband and is much better behaved when he's home.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Knighted Member

Zoe only listens to me and barks at my DH too,lol but it's his fault for not taking part in training early on. He now feeds her one of her meals a day and walks her once a day as well. If your wife is willing- because my DH isn't have her run through commands he already knows and treating him just the two of them. If he learns when he listens to her he gets treats he will trust her more, and respect her as an authority figure. Zoe thinks it's great fun to remove my DH's shoe soles and hide them. She's never chewed them- just pops em out and stashes them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Thank you. I told her before even posting this, that she should try to take part in his activities. This confirms it to a degree. Thank you very much:-)
Btw he practically tortures her when I'm not around andthe fact that he does anything I say , she goes nuts lol
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 AM

My Raven only listens to me really...when I am home she will not listen to my husband...(drives him nuts..lol)

Dawn
Raven -1 year old GSD ( love of my life)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5 cats ranging from- 3 yrs old to 18 yrs old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
My Raven only listens to me really...when I am home she will not listen to my husband...(drives him nuts..lol)
Lol so this is pretty common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page