Do I correct or not? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Do I correct or not?

So Matty is the big 6 months now..anyway she is doing more vocalizing on things and I don't know if I should stop her...Here are a couple of examples...Walking on a running/walking trail...I am walking she is next to me doing good...Coming toward us is a jogger, she tries to sniff and barks at her once maybe twice...not aggressive or anything but should I stop her from barking or is that just her saying.."hey...someone is running toward us"?...Also my in laws came over the other day and she did really good accept when my father in law was hand talking...every time he would talk with his hands...she would turn around and bark at him..just one or two barks...How should I have handled that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Crowned Member

I would handle that with "Leave It" Try to catch her before she barks so you can reward her for following the command.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

with the jogger...im really not sure. personally I would not want my dog parking at every jogger we pass (lots of them) but since you said it's not aggressive it does make it hard to determine what to do.

now with the in-laws, I would definitely put an end to that. i figure once i've let someone into the house, my dog should know i like that person, and that I'm aware of them being there. no reason to bark at some one in the house, in my opinoin anyhow...

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Any suggestion for not letting her bark at the in laws....I told her no every time she did it and made her sit...any other ideas?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Crowned Member

Leave It would work there as well.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Knighted Member

We are working on leave it for this type of thing (still needs a lot of work). Also, I don't know if this is right or now but I kneel next to Mac and talk to him soothingly "its ok..its ok Mac" to calm him down.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

When you tell him "it's ok", you are telling him that it's ok to act that way. Don't acknowledge his bad behavior and reward when he is behaving the way you want.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Knighted Member

Jax - Hmmm...I never thought of it that way. I thought I was assuring him that we were all safe and everything was ok. Thanks for the feed back.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac's Mom View Post
We are working on leave it for this type of thing (still needs a lot of work). Also, I don't know if this is right or now but I kneel next to Mac and talk to him soothingly "its ok..its ok Mac" to calm him down.

If you think about the tone you use when you say "it's ok...it's ok" and not think about the actual words, you'd see the tone used can cause the pup to become more unsure. The tone expresses the need for your pup to make a correction on his own in his own time...or not. It would do as much good if you were to say, "Excuse me Mac, if you don't mind very much, could you please stop barking at my company? I don't mean to offend you, or make you mad, Mac, but if you don't mind, could you stop now?"

If Mac is exhibiting a behavior that is not allowed, then you need to let him know that you are the leader, he is the pup, and that type of behavior isn't to be had! If you say, "Leave it". Just the tone alone when saying the words means business. When my 11 month old gets too vocal I can say "Enough!" and he is quiet. If he is barking at an object, like a cat or squirrel, I'll tell him "Leave it" and he is quiet.

Once the barking stops, you praise and rub and good boy and love my baby etc. etc.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac's Mom View Post
Jax - Hmmm...I never thought of it that way. I thought I was assuring him that we were all safe and everything was ok. Thanks for the feed back.
It's amazing how they view things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page