Sit Means Sit - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Sit Means Sit

What do you think of a training method that seems to be based on the e-collar? My neighbor is using this with her 4 month old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. You know, a breed known for dominant and vicious behavior. I feel sorry for poor little Lily. She's such a sweet, docile little baby. Seems like overkill.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Knighted Member

Have not trained with one but trained appropriately and under the right circumstances it can be an appropriate and useful tool in training. IMO, using it with a four month old puppy most of the time is not appropriate or under the right circumstance.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:15 AM

I would not use E collar unless dogs are older than 6 months old.

If you set it at the right working level, it is a wonderful tool to train your dog without creating stress and conflict.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex_0 View Post
I would not use E collar unless dogs are older than 6 months old.

If you set it at the right working level, it is a wonderful tool to train your dog without creating stress and conflict.
Would it be your tool of first choice meaning, would it be the primary tool you used to train every dog?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
Would it be your tool of first choice meaning, would it be the primary tool you used to train every dog?
Absolutely not, and especially not on a young puppy like little Lily. There are a number of ways to go, this is just one approach (which by the way is often NOT used correctly.) Everyone thinks it's wonderful because it generally results in faster learning (if you had a collar around your neck when you were learning to type for example, which gave you an electric correction when you made a mistake, you'd probably speed up and get it right too...) I think a puppy should be having fun, with toys and treats not e-collars.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I can see and understand the value for a big, rowdy, ADD-type (and older) puppy or dog or a dog that had proven to be extremely stubborn but watching the trainer with Lily...honestly she looked like she was afraid to move. It was awful to watch. I almost feel like crying just thinking about it.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

Personally I don't see the value of using an e-collar for obedience/basic training. It seems like way overkill to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 PM

I used alpa type training on our lab 20 years ago. Now I'm using rewards. IMO electric collars are dangerous if used when frustrated. If it's the type I'm thinking of it'a all too easy to crank it up when you should be walking away. I'm much more patient than I used to be and if a walk or training session isn't going well, I end it.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
Personally I don't see the value of using an e-collar for obedience/basic training. It seems like way overkill to me.
It is - but it's become the fad tool of choice. People in agility are using it now if you can believe it. It's just so EASY - and since you aren't the one feeling it, it is also easy to crank it up to the point I have seen in SchH clubs, where the dog is crying out and shaking its head because it is so uncomfortable. Max von Stephanitz said that it was the trainer who was responsible for the mistakes not the dog - and I think that is true. One doesn't know if he would have approved of the e-collar or not, but for sure I don't think he would have approved of many of the people wielding one. I too am sorry for Lily - she should have been clicker trained and having fun.

Anja SchH3 GSD
Conor GSD
Blue BH WH T1 GSD - waiting at the Bridge

Anja SchH3 GSD
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
Great tool for recall training,IF it is used properly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page