Crate question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter

Crate question

we just brought our new 8 week old gsd puppy home last night, we have a 2yo min pin that has the run of the house. My question is, being that our shepherd "cobra" will be in the crate at night and while we work during, will he be affected at all that "shelby" will be roaming free while he is in the crate. Thank you for you advice in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

He will be just fine crated while your other dog is loose.

Elaine and the herd
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:14 PM
Elite Member

Our 12 year old Dalmatian has free roam, but the pup is crate trained. It has never caused any problems. Sometimes she'll stand next to the crate in hopes that he kicks out a piece of kibble, but that rarely happens.

Crate training is a wonderful thing. We had not crated our previous dogs - we sure wish we had now that we know how beneficial it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

It's a great idea, especially since your min-pin isn't too impressed with him. Just make sure he has a puppy Kong or something else to keep him entertained. Since you aren't there to feed him lunch, maybe get a toy that releases food and you can put some kibble in it and he can work for his lunch.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
It's a great idea, especially since your min-pin isn't too impressed with him. Just make sure he has a puppy Kong or something else to keep him entertained. Since you aren't there to feed him lunch, maybe get a toy that releases food and you can put some kibble in it and he can work for his lunch.
well i work a swing shift and my wife works 8-4 so i think it will work out well as far as feeding lunch, but yes a kong sounds like a great idea, i'm assuming just stuff it with puppy treats or food? thank you so much for your advice
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Crowned Member

They make sticks you put part way inside- they also make a squirt treat, but it's pretty expensive. Sometimes I get them, or use peanut butter, cheese sticks, a frozen carrot when they were teething, whatever he likes. Again, love his name! There are a variety of toys, balls, bones, that hold treats or kibble too. Welcome to the forum, you'll learn a lot! You're all in for great times with a new gsd pup.

We already had Uschi when we got Stosh and keeping him crated while she was free really helped- they got to know each other without full body contact.

Last edited by Stosh; 08-04-2010 at 03:37 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

sounds great, my wife and i are gonna have to make a trip to petsmart and see what kind of stuffable toys they have! We were deciding a name and had shelby our min pin, i have 3 mustangs and we kind of wanted a duel name, so we came up with cobra for the different model mustangs....on another note my OCD has him outside after every 5 minute nap and it appears that he might be picking up on the "good boy" "potty" lingo. Thank you so much for the warm welcome, any other suggestions are greatly welcomed and appreciated
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Crowned Member

I was wondering if his name had a car reference. Really nice colors on him. Sounds like you're wonderful parents!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Crowned Member

Find those super cheap over-ripe bananas in the produce section. Mash one up with a bit of peanut butter and stuff a Kong with that and then freeze it. A big hit in my house. You don't even really need to buy those treats to stick in the Kong. I put the Kong in a sandwich bag to freeze so it doesn't make a mess.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

thank you so much everybody for your great advice, i see that i've found the perfect place for advice and suggestions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page