Dog Introduction - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Dog Introduction

I figured I would post my methods and events that are taking place with the introduction of our new boy Thor Von Donner III with our current GSD Allie(cant find her paperwork). I will add to this every so often to keep everyone posted and hopefully help those looking to introduce and older dog in a puppy family....Thor is 3 Allie is 1.

Day 1: Got Thor from a lady who couldnt keep him due to the fact she had to move from her house to a camper this weekend. Thor is lost and scared, new people loading him in the car and taking him away. He seemed sad but is a sweetheart who really took to us quick.
I get him home and lock the other dogs up(my friend has a lab) and let him adjust to the surroundings. He is jumpy at noises but still looks around to check the house out. After several hours of play and brushing that he really needed I brought Allie out. She is a fearless dog and they had a staredown and started barking and jumping at each other. Thor wants to establish his position and Allie wont have any part of it.
The good thing is they are both used to being around other dogs, they just need some adjustment time. I decide its time to take them for a walk to ease the tension.
I lead with Allie while my GF follows with Thor, they still have the tension from earlier. After about 10 min we let Thor approach Allie at his own pace since Allie was more accepting of him than he was of her. We stop after about 20 min and left them sit still closer to each other. Thor started barking at her when he heard a noise. After the walk we went home and seperated them for the night. Allie stayed with the daughter upstairs and Thor stayed with us.
DAY 2
It was a beautiful day so we started on our second walk SSDD Thor barked at Allie soon as he saw her. We used the same technique as last night but went to a nature trail with more to see and sniff. We walked and praised him everytime he got near her. They got on the trail and Allie stopped to pee, we let Thor sniff the spot and he then marked right where she did. He made his claim that she was his things started getting better. By the end of the trail they were walking side by side sniffing the same spots and having a good time, he would not walk on unless she was there beside him.
We returned home and let them off leash to test the water....usually this would be too early but we just walked for 2-3 hours and did great. I tossed the ball a few times(both dogs are ball nuts) and they played great. They are laying near each other as I am writing this, though they are not to the point to be left alone together they are fine with supervision and hopefully in a months time they can be less supervised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 PM

Have you tried giving them each a treat when they are near each other?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

yes but he really dosent care about treats....he actually has not eaten yet since we got him. She did get a little snappy about her tennis ball earlier but they both just shrugged it off and kept playing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page