Need Ur Help To train My GS pup !!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Question Need Ur Help To train My GS pup !!!

Angel is now more than 6 week...
I like to start some obedience training but am totally new in this i just like to train her some command like "Stay" "Sit" "COME HEAR" " NO".and leash train her

In addition to that tell me how often i give her training and for how much time like half an hour or hours or just some minutes......
She also not respond every time when i call her name "Angel"
Plz help me..........

Last edited by Sunny; 07-28-2010 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

Do you have a clicker? Look up clicker training. For a puppy this young you want everything to be fun and games. Also, look on Utube for clicker training videos. MaggieLeeRose is the queen of finding good Utube videos.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

Best time to train her is when it's time to eat. Have her sit nicely before you put the food down. When you go out to play, bring some food in your pocket and reward her anytime she comes to you. Don't call her, just wait for her to come to you. Most dogs don't listen to words in the beginning, anyway.

I've never had a puppy that young, so I wouldn't do more than a few minutes a couple times a day. But you can make training a game. If she looks at you, praise and treat. When she comes, praise and treat. If she's doing something bad, find something to distract her and say "good girl".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Do you have a clicker? Look up clicker training. For a puppy this young you want everything to be fun and games. Also, look on Utube for clicker training videos. MaggieLeeRose is the queen of finding good Utube videos.
No i don't have a clicker ????
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Crowned Member

Look it up. It's just a little hand held device that makes a "click" noise.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Knighted Member

Also just work on one command at a time. When she has that one down pat you can move to a new command. It will get confusing for a puppy if you try to do too many too soon. Also as mentioned only a couple of minutes at a time 2-3 times a day.

Start with teaching her name first. Sit, watch me, come, off, down, stay, and walking nicely are the basics you want. Maybe one a week at this age. Socialization is extremely important so find a good puppy class. But don't get her out and about until she's had her 3rd set of shots. Between the 2nd and 3rd set you can take her to 'safe' places but stay away from areas other animals are that you don't know their health history.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Crowned Member

I don't know what you access to items is in India so this is where I would start.

I would get a handful of treats (or her dinner as Black Puppy said). Say her name, when she looks at you, immediately give her a piece of food.

Once she knows her name, then move on to Sit. You can lure her into position with a treat by moving it backwards over her head. (look for a video on this). As soon as she even starts to move her butt down, treat her. do it in small steps. Once her butt hits the floor, give her lots of treats quickly. Repeat until the first time you say sit she does.

It doesn't take them long at all to learn this way. Anytime I want to teach Jax something new I pull out her clicker and treats.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Master Member

Watch this guy's videos:

Tab 289 Dog Training Videos

Simple lessons, he keeps them short, and his dog is very well trained.

"What's there to dominate when your dog is well trained and it does what you ask??" - DoggieDad
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Facing Another Problem ???
"Angel" Grab My jeans while i play with her and not want to leave i have to forcefully pull my leg or have to open her mouth to make her leave it.......
and then she start Growling on me and try to bite my hand ?????
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Crowned Member

did you try offering her a toy in exchange for letting go of your jeans? I would redirect her. She is just playing but this is all part of learning bite inhibition.

Her doing this is not unusual. We replaced many jeans for my son while our oldest boxer was growing up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page