"Find it" Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

"Find it" Question

We play hide and seek at our place with Hondo. One of us hang with him while the other hides. Then we tell him to find it. We play in the house, yard, barn etc. At all times he is off leash.

When I take Hondo off our property, he is always on a leash, and 95% of the time at the heel position.

Last night we went to Tractor Supply and I wondered if Hondo would be able to "find us" with all of the distractions. So Hubby went off through the store and Hondo & I remained behind. I told him to find it - and realized in order for him to do this, I'd have to let him out of the heel position and actually travel in front of me. Hondo did very well with only one turn made that Hubby didn't, but he corrected himself halfway down the isle and backtracked to the correct path.

When he found hubby he got excited and began pulling on the leash - hubby (at one end of the isle) squated down and was singing Hondo's praises. As we were the only ones in the isle I dropped the leash and allowed Hondo to run to him.

Here is my question; Does giving the command to "Find It" release Hondo from the heel position and give him permission to travel ahead on the leash?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Crowned Member

Sinister and I also do "Find It"

I make Sinister sit while I go hide whatever it is that I am hiding and when I tell him "Find It" it does release him.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Here is my question; Does giving the command to "Find It" release Hondo from the heel position and give him permission to travel ahead on the leash?
It can mean whatever you want it too. If you've got a release word and you've already commanded him to heel, use the release word before telling him to find it. That should clear up any confusion in his mind about what he's allowed to do. If you haven't actually told him to heel in the first place, then he's not really breaking position since he's heeling voluntarily.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
It can mean whatever you want it too. If you've got a release word and you've already commanded him to heel, use the release word before telling him to find it. That should clear up any confusion in his mind about what he's allowed to do. If you haven't actually told him to heel in the first place, then he's not really breaking position since he's heeling voluntarily.

Ok - so if my heel release word is free dog, then I would say to Hondo, "Free dog, find it!" Correct?

While he is searching - When he is moving I'll say "Good, find it, Good". But if he stops to sniff (could be anything that caught his attention) I'll just say, "Find it" , and he'll move on. Is this correct?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Ok - so if my heel release word is free dog, then I would say to Hondo, "Free dog, find it!" Correct?

While he is searching - When he is moving I'll say "Good, find it, Good". But if he stops to sniff (could be anything that caught his attention) I'll just say, "Find it" , and he'll move on. Is this correct?
I would say it is, because that's how I do it and your praising him for searching for it and then when he gets side tracked you are saying the command again to get him back on track.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
I would say it is, because that's how I do it and your praising him for searching for it and then when he gets side tracked you are saying the command again to get him back on track.

We play at home, and I don't think much of it. It's just a game. I'll hide a toy of his and tell him to find it and only when he comes back to me empty handed...errr...empty mouthed, do I remind him to find it. When we play with people it's a little higher stacked game and he gets more excited. He likes the end result of the person grabbing him and telling him what a good boy he is.

I was really suprised last night when Hondo actually intentionally looked for Hubby and was proud of himself when he found him. I really didn't think he'd do it. So I thought that if Hondo is doing his part, I should do what I can not to get in his way .
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I don't think you need a release...because you are issuing another command.

Consider any other chains of commands like the sit in motion...If you're heeling and ask the dog to sit you don't have to free the dog from the heel position to sit and wait for you...Likewise with the Voraus. First you heel down field, and then you send the dog, and then ask them to platz and never in this behavior chain do you don't have to tell them they're free from each behavior.

To my mind, Free is a release for a reward or to go do whatever the dog wants....Not a transition into another behavior. Actually freeing my dogs would have them looking for their ball or their treats or wandering away to pee on something. Although you might have to practice recalling to heel position and rewarding that so they don't get in front of you anticipating a "Find it" game.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
I don't think you need a release...because you are issuing another command.

Consider any other chains of commands like the sit in motion...If you're heeling and ask the dog to sit you don't have to free the dog from the heel position to sit and wait for you...Likewise with the Voraus. First you heel down field, and then you send the dog, and then ask them to platz and never in this behavior chain do you don't have to tell them they're free from each behavior.

To my mind, Free is a release for a reward or to go do whatever the dog wants....Not a transition into another behavior. Although you might have to practice recalling to heel position and rewarding that so they don't get in front of you anticipating a "Find it" game.

Ahh, ok that makes sense. Thanks!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
This is pretty much how I run tracking...although if my dog got distracted I would probably add a verbal negative to let them know that's NOT what I want and then repeat the command and praise when they resume.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page