Signs of Maturing! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Signs of Maturing!

Mia is nearly 14 months, and a highly spirited, people loving GSD. We walk daily, and we see many "regulars on our walks". SInce day one (of puplic walking) we have been working very hard on her sitting as soon as I stop, and then waiting for the release to greet fellow walkers. This has proven to be very challenging for Mia. Yesterday (!) when we saw a trio of women walking towrds us. Before I could even say a command, Mia sat and then went into the down position and waited for the women to approach (the down is new and suggested by our vet to get her into a submission position-for meeting new dogs). The ladies were so impresssed with her progress and I was so proud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Knighted Member

Yipeeeee Mia....good girl!

Renee'

Jake 2/12/10 CGC TDI
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Crowned Member

I don't know that I would want my dog in a submissive position when greeting dogs. People ok, but dogs should be on the same equal ground and Mia may feel vulnerable if she is platzing when the other dogs approach. Good girl for her anticipation of your commands, though!
I see my 16month old male having more self control in the last week or so...it is bittersweet to see the puppy leave and the mature dog take over.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Yes the rapid changes are bitter sweet... Although my sable gsd is only 3 months the days of picking him up are rapidly coming to an end. I can feel the change in his weigh and bulkyness... I was just saying wow my little fellow is changing right before my eyes...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Crowned Member

thats really great! its nice to hear the positives about some of these young dogs, we hear to many of the not so good things! congrats!!!

url
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Knighted Member

I was warned not to let Mac sit on my lap as a puppy because he wouldn't be able to do it as an adult. I didn't listen. It all worked out though...because now he just puts his head and paws on my lap! I do miss being able to pick him up though...

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM

They grow so fast.... it seems like they are only small enough to be "lap" dogs for a few weeks....then they are wiggling loose (and too bib.) My boy lays his big head in my lap...and looks at me with those brown eyes.

Currently sharing my life with Max and Sadie.
My angels, always in my heart....
Kelsey
Maggie
Baer

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. ~Roger Caras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page