Paws on the door - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Paws on the door

My pup has developed a terrible habit of jumping her front paws on to a door when she went out. It started on the sliding glass door and we never corrected it because it wasn't an issue. Now when it's time for a car ride she'll go to the car and do the same behavior, which is an issue. Where should I start in removing this behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 12:35 AM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Take her to the car on leash - problem solved. In the case of other doors, figure out what you'd like her to do instead. Reward that, and ignore the jumping. Eventually she'll figure out what works and what doesn't work to get what she wants, and you'll save the paint job on your car. Manage the situation to prevent her from jumping while you train the alternate behavior.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Makes perfect sense. What are some behaviors others encourage for their dogs to let them know they want outside. I wouldn't mind if Rally gave a little bark to let me know she needs out but she doesn't bark much to encourage it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have quiet dogs too. They will usually either stand by the door and if I don't notice they start bothering me. Have you tried the bells? I know some people find those helpful. The dog needs to go out it rings the bells hanging on the door.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Master Member

The bells work great at my house. Ava rings them when she has to go out to potty...when she has to go out to chase butterflies...when she has to go out to warm herself in the sun...when she has to....Oh well, you get the picture. I am FOREVER hearing the bells!!

They work great though!!

~ Leigh ~
Volunteer Coordinator
Southeast German Shepherd Rescue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ava LaRue GSD 3/2/10
Chewy Shih Tzu 1/9/04
Toby Shih Tzu 12/26/07
Abby 18 yr old Lab R.I.P.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 06:41 PM

My dog touches the door knob with his nose, and the knob has just that little bit of play in it and makes a soft rattling sound. If I don't get up fast enough for him, he starts whining. The great thing is I didn't have to train him to do any of it, he just did it automatically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page