What's the best way to stop chewing! And cat attacks.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter

What's the best way to stop chewing! And cat attacks..

Okay so here's the situation.. my pup is roughly 5 months now. Main reason we got him was becasue I've always wanted a GSD. 2nd and most important was protection. For Arlo to protect my girlfriend, and protect my home/guns/cats.

He will fail at this task if locked in a crate.. He's only in a crate when we're gone shopping or both of us are at work at the same time (usually a 2-3hr overlap). Also at night while alseep.

Problem is.. I have an antique general store bar from the 1800's worth roughly $20k. It's in excelent condition and we use it in the livingroom. In all honesty, I could care less if he chewed on anything else. But if he laid one bite mark on this bar, I'd probably kill him lol So is there ANY type of non-chew stuff that is harmless to wood that actually works?? I don't want something that stains or will alter my bar if I spray it on there..

Also, the cats don't mind the new pup. They will slap him if he gets within striking distance though. Sky will use his claws, Princess will just use her paw.. I'm affraid if I leave em alone all day Arlo will just keep trying to sniff em and Sky will keep clawing at him, making Arlo a bit mad and attack?? I have left em alone for an hour or two here an there with no problem.. What's your expeirnce?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

CRATE HIM! He's still a puppy and you are right, he may accidentally injure a cat while just playing and may chew on the bar or other things you want.

He wouldn't really be able to 'protect' for a year or so anyways. He's a dopey puppy like we all have. So to leave him out for that reason makes no sense at this time.

If you leave him crated in an area by the doors, then if someone is looking around the house, he may hear and bark from the crate. It's barking that's a deterrent at this point.

The more you have him out in the yard with you or walking around the block with you, the more anyone who's scoping out the area to 'do bad' will SEE you have a GSD and can choose to just avoid your house entirely. They won't know the age of your dog. And they won't know he's crated or loose.

They WILL know you have a GSD though...

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:33 AM

Agree with MRL.

I understand what you're saying...but you can't really expect him to provide protection until he is older anyway...Right now he's all about himself. Deterrence and barking is about you can hope for at this point...

So I would say that the more important part of what you need to be doing right now is housebreaking your dog. And I don't mean potty training. I mean teaching him to live in the house without destroying it...and the only way you can expect to achieve this is through supervision. So Crate that puppy when you can't watch him. Teach him the appropriate things to chew. You can only give a correction if he is IN the ACT of chewing on what you don't want.

As far as the cats...that's another area that to my mind would require supervision and boundaries. I don't know your dog or your cat and it might be fine...but if he's just getting frustrated and keeps going back...well eventually he's going to get a lot more agile and the places they go might go to hide from the dog might become accessible. He might discover that cats taste like chicken. I would again teach him how you want him to behave around the cats. And once he's trustworthy about leaving them and understands they're part of your pack I wouldn't worry so much.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Elite Member

Agree totally about the crate and that using it with a young puppy will not in any way reduce his protection instinct when he's actually old enough. As for the cats, really depends on the dog's disposition. If he's mostly wagging his tail and using a "yip", higher pitched bark (indicates desire to play), he's probably just fine with them. It's actually good that cats have little fear and give him a "pop" now and then. He should learn to respect them (they will teach him that, not you) and also recognize them as part of the pack. One of the most dangerous things you can do is to separate them... so long as the play is harmless. I agree about supervised play, but you don't have to be a "helicopter parent" to the cats if they hold their own well. Better that the dog and cats work out their own boundaries. I've raised several high drive dogs with cats and never had an issue. It's really nice and very fun to watch cats and dogs that get along well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Crowned Member

I have a 10 month old, male GSD that has a fierce bark. I have a large collection of antique furniture. He has never chewed anything that didn't belong to him, even as a little tyke. 100% because I kept him glued to me at all times and didn't give him the opportunity. Even at 10 months, I wouldn't dream of leaving him alone, uncrated while I'm gone. I follow my rule, 'Help keep an honest GSD honest'. When he is older I'll re-consider it. But for now he is snug as a bug in a rug when I'm gone. If the weather is good, he is out in the yard.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Hmm well I do still crate him ofcourse.

I'm not quite sure on his protection level. He does have a very deep bark. And when we went campin a couple weeks ago, my buddy showed up a couple days later with his dog. Arlo (from where he was at) started to bark and kept his eyes on the truck with the 'threat' as he walked over to my girlfriend. At that point he kept barking/growling/showing his teeth.

I have no doubt in my mind if someone did try to attack/break in that he would do what he could.

I do walk him/show him off to the neighbors though. I think, unfortantly my neighbors hussle drugs as there are quite a few different teenage kids that come at all different times durring the day. 2pm or 2am doesn't matter. I'm in good with my neighbor so hopefully these punk kids that come over will know not to mess with me or my home..so far so good...

Odd too because my neighbor is retired lol
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamdude04 View Post
Arlo (from where he was at) started to bark and kept his eyes on the truck with the 'threat' as he walked over to my girlfriend. At that point he kept barking/growling/showing his teeth.
At 5 months, all your dog was doing here is saying that he was scared. You are kidding yourself if you think your dog would engage a stranger in your home at 5 months old with no training - even if he was a direct descendent of the world's greatest protection dog.

Jamie

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
At 5 months, all your dog was doing here is saying that he was scared. You are kidding yourself if you think your dog would engage a stranger in your home at 5 months old with no training - even if he was a direct descendent of the world's greatest protection dog.
I see. lol
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Elite Member

If you are worried that your druggie neighbors will break in and steal your things... and they already know you have a GSD, they'll simply bring a gun and shoot the dog first, then make off with your things.

My advice: enjoy your puppy, and install an alarm system.

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-08-2010, 04:20 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott-n-GSDs View Post
If you are worried that your druggie neighbors will break in and steal your things... and they already know you have a GSD, they'll simply bring a gun and shoot the dog first, then make off with your things.

My advice: enjoy your puppy, and install an alarm system.
Too funny, though not bad advice!

Your puppy is, well, a PUPPY! Don't push him to far or expect to much or it may backfire and instead of socializing and training your pup to make a confident and bold adult dog...........................you may get a fearful and timid dog instead!

5 month old dogs need tons of play, tons of exercise, socialization to have him think it's a wonderful world he can boldly go out to greet with confidence (and with his people!). Dog classes are a huge help too!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page