Adopted a retired police k-9, and she ignores me.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Adopted a retired police k-9, and she ignores me....

I don't know if this has been covered before, but if it has will someone please point me in the right direction. A friend of mine gave me a 2 yr old GSD today, her name is Tori. She has been through Narcotics training but she hasn't really done much police work because she will chase a cat and is an agressive alert. While I was at his house, she did everything he asked of her for the most part. "Heel, sitz, platz, etc..." But when I got her to my house, she completly ignores anything I say to her. She won't sit, platz, or even so much as look at me. Is this normal behavior? How should I go about gaining her trust and get her to obey my commands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:42 PM
Crowned Member

Bond with her.

This may take months, weeks, days, all dogs are different.

Play with her, tugging is great. Join a basic obedience or agility class to share experiences. Take her out and about with you and just spend time with her.

It will come.

Good luck and have fun with your new girl. Oh, and pictures are welcomed here!

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:45 PM
Crowned Member

I agree, and you do have to engage her mind so she'll be healthy in her head as well as body.
I walked a GSD at the shelter, she sat on command had manners, but wouldn't engage with me at all, as she didn't know me from Adam.
No eye contact, and I didn't expect it from her. We have to earn their trust and then they will bloom and give it back tenfold!
Congrats on your new girl, I look forward to pics, too!

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 06-30-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Elisabeth

you just got her
she doesn't know you or why she should listen to you. She doesn't realize this is her new home. Bond with her, show her you are the most fun interesting person in the world

-Brandi

6-5-09

post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
Bond with her.

This may take months, weeks, days, all dogs are different.

Play with her, tugging is great. Join a basic obedience or agility class to share experiences. Take her out and about with you and just spend time with her.

It will come.

Good luck and have fun with your new girl. Oh, and pictures are welcomed here!
What Elisabeth said. You just changed her home and owners so have a little patience to let her settle in. It will come before you know it and then you're going to have a blast!

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

First of all, thanks for the reassurance! I will get pics of her up very soon, once she has been groomed of course. The officer that had her before me kept her outside, so she needs to be groomed. This is my first experience with a GSD so I guess I am jumping the gun. I've seen GSD's in action and I know they are capable of doing a ton of neat things, and I'm anxious to get to that point. But she isn't agressive toward me, which I expected, so that is a huge plus. She is definatly going to be pampered compared to her former life.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:04 PM

A 2yo retired narcotics dog??

btw, unless you were raised in Germany, please skip the annoying German commands. If you're not convincing and consistent, the dog won't respond.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

I believe she was not retired, just trained and a wash out due to the aggression and high prey drive? I would still use German, she already knows and has obviously been proofed on the commands, she is just learning a whole new world~ inside instead of kennel, all overwhelming at this stage of her transition.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:20 PM
Banned

acburg, acburg, i don't think you know GSD's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrburg View Post
A 2yo retired narcotics dog??

btw, unless you were raised in Germany, please skip the annoying German commands. If you're not convincing and consistent, the dog won't respond.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member

To the OP,

if she has been outside her whole life and now moving inside of a home you're also going to need to work on house manners and potty/crate training...just like she's a new puppy

-Brandi

6-5-09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page