How do I encourage my dog to get in the car? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

How do I encourage my dog to get in the car?

My recently adopted 7 month old male GSD is terrified of getting in the car. I have tried enticing him with treats, getting my boyfriend to get in the other side and calling him, even getting in myself and trying to get him to follow me.

Any tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:47 PM
Elite Member

Play with him outside near the car with all of the door open, but no pressure to get in the car. Just play ball or whatever he likes to do. Put a small bowl of his very favorite food in the car somewhere. When you both get a little tired, go sit in the car to relax and don't pull or even verbally coax him to come in. Keep repeating that. Make sure the engine is not running. Just act as if the car with all the doors open and the great treat inside is your sanctuary. No asking him to come in. Hope that helps.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

Praise every little step. Leave both doors open so he doesn't feel trapped. If he looks at he car, praise and treat. If he sticks his nose in the care, praise and treat. Paw in, praise and treat!

I would sit quietly by the open door on the ground and have him with me, with a hand full of treats and a clicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

Just pick him up and put him in the car without a fuss. Stop the babying. Once he's in car, take him for a ride and praise him a lot. It won't take long before he figures out the car is the greatest thing ever.

Elaine and the herd
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
Just pick him up and put him in the car without a fuss. Stop the babying. Once he's in car, take him for a ride and praise him a lot. It won't take long before he figures out the car is the greatest thing ever.

Agree. Just pick him up and put him in. Tag gave some trouble for a couple weeks about climbing up the running boards and into the truck. And then yesterday he just did it himself. They learn.

Although, as a side note, I rarely let my dogs jump down from the truck and never onto pavement. I'll grab their collar with one hand and put my other arm under their belly and swing them down. I don't like them coming down hard on hard surfaces, to my mind it's not good for their elbows.

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:19 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
LMAO... that's a pragmatic approach! Could actually work too. I would possibly try it as long as the dog isn't freaking out. If he just seems a little scared, but also a bit stubborn to try it, shoving him in and taking some extended and really fun rides might work. Really depends on the dog's general temperment.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM

Even if they are freaking out. Getting in the car really isn't an option. Once they're in there, you can give them treats, and tell them they're good...but I really find a no nonsense approach is best.

Also, is the car running? Some dogs object to the noise and vibration a running car gives off...My dogs usually seem to object to the heat waves radiating from interior of the not yet cooled by the AC car...Ah Florida!

Bianka vom Eisernen Loewen IPO3, CGC, TC 1-3-08
Cade vom Eisernen Loewen IPO1, CGC 3-25-09
D'Artagnan (Tag) vom Eisernen Loewen BH 2-2-10
G Aiko von Burkndeiros SchH 3, IPO3, FH, TC, KKL2 9-17-02 (Retired)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
Elite Member

It took about Three weeks for Lycan to get into the car on his own. That was a very happy day as I was starting to suffer from Excruciating back pain.

Jelpy

My furs are not in storage, nor draped across the bed. They're peering out the kennel door just waiting to be fed.
(Anonymous)
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 03:25 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKlatsky View Post
Even if they are freaking out. Getting in the car really isn't an option. Once they're in there, you can give them treats, and tell them they're good...but I really find a no nonsense approach is best.

Also, is the car running? Some dogs object to the noise and vibration a running car gives off...My dogs usually seem to object to the heat waves radiating from interior of the not yet cooled by the AC car...Ah Florida!
My dogs here in FL have always hopped in enthusiastically on the command "load up." Never any trouble with dogs not loving a car ride. I think the A/C is a huge bonus too!!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2010, 09:30 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Quote:
That's what I do too. And go for a short ride that ends in something really wonderful. Then going back home. Sometimes we just have to try to calmly work our dogs thru these situations.

GOOD LUCK!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page