May try Prong Collar...thoughts please - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

May try Prong Collar...thoughts please

Hello All,

So here is my issue. Either over excitement or aggression towards other dogs on walks. I always walk 2 dogs. (Cody - 7 month old male GSD, and Mandi - 4 year old mix). They are both very well behaved outside when no other dogs are present. Sit, down, come, stay...all done PERFECT even on a busy street.

Recently, both of the dogs are lunging, barking at all other dogs we pass. Neither have ever attacked, but sometimes Cody's hair does stand up.

I can't say for sure if it is just excitement or aggression. But the other owner is usually scared. and i dont blame them cause my dogs come off rowdy.

-I have tried distracting them with Tasty Treats (chicken, fish...good stuff!) and they don't care. they wont listen at all when another dog is within about 20-25 feet.

-I have tried to just cross the street and avoid the interaction

-I have tried to just walk by the other dog quickly (which results in me basically dragging the dogs along)

I will admit they don't get to socialize a ton with other dogs. they have basically only one other dogs as a playmate (neighbors dog) and they both get along nicely with that dog.

do i need to just take them to the dog park and let them mingle? hope it goes well? do i need to try a negative reinforcement approach like the prong?

They wear harness right now and don't pull hardly at all...of course unless another dog is in sight.

Thanks so much!

A tired puppy is a good puppy

CODY - Sable GSD Born 11/15/09
MANDI - GSD/Husky/Lab Mix Born 6/3/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Crowned Member

My first suggestion is to walk only one dog at a time until you get them trained to not react to other dogs. Cody is probably scared and he's learning to react from the 4 yr old. Until you work one on one with your dogs, I don't think you'll accomplish anything regardless of what training collar you use.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Hi Jax08, Thank you for the reply.

I thought that too....and this could be an owner cop out, but I take them on about a total of 2 hour worth of brisk walks each day. so if did that with each one alone. that is 4 hours a day of jsut walking.

with my job and commute it would just be insane. As it is I get about 3 seconds a day to myself haha. it may come to that, but im really hoping to get them behaving better together.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

So, walk them an hour each day and let them play ball or something for a short time afterwards. I just don't see how you will be able to get control with two dogs. I have enough of a handful with one dog when she reacts.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

very goog thought, but i did fail to mention i live in Chicago. my "backyard" is a 30' x 30' patch of concrete that often has cars parked in it. so walking is really about the only way to really get these guys their exercise.

post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Crowned Member

I use the prong collar on Wolfie when we go for walks. It works. He never pulls, but he does cry loud or bark when he sees another dog. It's not aggression, he just wants to go say hello. As soon as the other dog goes by, he stops. Wolfie is 6 months old.

Mom to
Chases Wolfgang Heinrich Von Ryan aka Wolfie born 12/20/09
Waiting for us at the bridge is Chases Chieftain aka Chiefy Left this earth and left a hole in our hearts July 2000
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Yes; the prong collar IS a great way to aid in helping curb unwanted behavior; but it is only to be used as reinforcement of training; like; teaching your dog to heel and walk without pulling; it will only combat the problem in the course of training your dog not to pull and lunge, however I must say; walking them together may be aiding to your problem; they feed off of each other and when one barks; the other follows suite; add in a few lunges and you've got a recipe for disaster; walk them separately and practice the watch me command; there are a few threads regarding this add some treats and tons of positive reinforcement; maybe if treats don't work try a toy or ball they might enjoy! I have a prong collar for my GSD now; and while it works great; it does nothing without training; the goal is to have peaceful walks without it one day, walks based solely on training. in a nutshell; no prong collar; walk them separately; use the prong collar IF they began pulling while alone with you and are ignoring the heel command
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Master Member

What about playing with them before the walks?? Wear them down a little bit?? Or maybe try staying close to the house and when they start to act like that take them right back home.

-Jamie-

No matter how bad my day has been.... coming home to them makes it all better.

My Kids:
Nellie -3 yr old GSD & Ace -2 yr old GSD
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

wolfies mom and flymuslima thank you for chiming in!

I would continue to attempt my positive reinforcement with the prong.

when i walk. I will call their names, and give them a treat just for stopping and looking at me. so i'm trying to pound in the eye contact and watch me type of commands. again, flawless without other dogs present.

i hope it doesn't come to seperate walks for time sake. in which case our older one would probably end up missing out some as she doesnt have even half the energy our pup does, but i would feel bad not walking her equally.

thanks again for the feedback. about 1 hour until i go to petsmart...

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

GSD mom, oh i do. from the moment i walk in the door to the moment i go to bed i seem to consumed with dogs. playing, training, walking, potty breaks etc..

the 7 month old can just go non stop 24/7.

i am also hoping as he ages this will "problem" will decrease but i keep hearing not to think that, and correct bad behaviors immediately. so ive been trying to say the least.

thanks for the advise

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page