A bit of a Problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

A bit of a Problem

So currently I have a 7month old GS that i have had for about a month, and recently he learned how to get out of his cage. This would not be a problem if he was fully house trained (chewing and defecating). So i was wondering if there was any way to speed up the process of getting him trained so that I don't have to leave him in his crate. Today i came home and he had his head stuck(he was alone for an hour). When he is out of the cage I am constantly watching him and correcting behavior. Any advice on how i could speed this up would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Master Member

I assume you are talking about leaving him out of his crate when you are not home. He is still very young and only been with you for a month. It's very early to expect him to be left unsupervised and not get into trouble. It takes time, practice, mistakes and supervision.

I think it is more important to address issues with the safety of the crate. If he is able to get his head stuck (potentially life threatening) and escape you need a new crate ASAP.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Crowned Member

Get a plastic crate with a three way locking system. If he breaks out of that, he probably won't be contained to any crate. Shorter crate time, working him beforehand til he is tired, give him a safe chew while crated may help.

What are you doing to "correct" him? Is he crated when you do it?

Associating the crate with good things, may help him to relax while he is in it.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
I assume you are talking about leaving him out of his crate when you are not home. He is still very young and only been with you for a month. It's very early to expect him to be left unsupervised and not get into trouble. It takes time, practice, mistakes and supervision.

I think it is more important to address issues with the safety of the crate. If he is able to get his head stuck (potentially life threatening) and escape you need a new crate ASAP.
I cant find another Crate Big enough. Right now he is at 85lb and a good his head is past my waist and he is very long which is the probably. every crate i looked at besides this one didnt have enough room for him The Vet Said he is still under weight and expects him to gain more weight. I'm not sure how i can make the crate safer.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM

I think that he is fretting, he is still getting to know you and you him, what is the background before you got him. You need a cage that he cannot get his head stuck in for obvious reasons
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Get a plastic crate with a three way locking system. If he breaks out of that, he probably won't be contained to any crate. Shorter crate time, working him beforehand til he is tired, give him a safe chew while crated may help.

What are you doing to "correct" him? Is he crated when you do it?

Associating the crate with good things, may help him to relax while he is in it.
I cant find a plastic crate big enough. the one he is in now has four locks. He is usually very tired because i run with the 2 of them in the morning before work. he has bones and kongs galore in the crate.

when i correct him for chewing i simply give him one of his toy to chew on and when he defecates in the house and i catch him i bring him out. the only time he has to be in the crate os to get his toys or when no one is home.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Master Member

what's the brand of crate, or a pic.....maybe if others can see what you have, may be able to recommend something....also, he should only be able to stand and turn, mine is 80lbs and pretty tall and I only have a large which still gives him extra room....they do make crates big enough for giant breeds like great danes.....you can try Rescue Remedy if he is having separation anxiety or panic attacks; helps to calm without drugs.

Dexter-male, sable GSD, 2 yr. old rescue

"My impetus is an unfulfillable debt to animals
entrusted to my care before I recognized the extent of our advanced industrial and societal hypocrisy (i.e. the extent of my own ignorance and participation)."

-Euan Fingal

RIP

Kato- 12 yrs, GSD, forever my friend
Kelsey- 15 yrs, GSD, an inspiration
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok here is the story/ background of how i got him. What happened was i had my dog at the dog park and was talking to a lady who owns his sister. I told her how i always wanted a shepherd and she said that the person she got her dog from is losing his house and can no longer afford the dogs. So I contacted them the next day and meet Bo (the man was planning on keeping him, but couldnt due to losing his job). After a couple of meetings to make sure both dogs got along we were able to bring BO home. Bo had never been on a leash, he peed, vomited and defecated in my car on a 30 minute ride home. Bo has had very little socialization, but he is getting used to people since my house might as well be a frat. I know he gets along with other dogs great. Currently Bo can now walk on a Leash, No longer gets Car sicK, and knows basic commands and will be starting classes at canine cadre in connecticut.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib Laut View Post
what's the brand of crate, or a pic.....maybe if others can see what you have, may be able to recommend something....also, he should only be able to stand and turn, mine is 80lbs and pretty tall and I only have a large which still gives him extra room....they do make crates big enough for giant breeds like great danes.....you can try Rescue Remedy if he is having separation anxiety or panic attacks; helps to calm without drugs.
the create we currently have is for a larger breed dog
Blowout Sales on Precision Pet 2-Door Dog Crate - 2-Door Dog Crate - Precision Wire Crates - Wire Crates For Dogs - Precision Wire Crates for Dogs - Wire Dog Crates - 2-Door Wire Dog crate
that is the crate i have and i believe the measurements are 42"L x 28"W x 31"H
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:50 PM
Crowned Member

I got mine at Petco, I wouldn't have given them the $ but only place in town that stocked it( I was going to order it online, but of course couldn't wait:
Dosckocil (PETMATE) Vari Kennel Giant (48" x 32" x 35")#

It holds my 90# 27" male with room to spare. You can order online w/ free shipping if you look long and hard. Check CL,too.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page